Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:38 am 

Hi all,

My daughter will be sitting her 11plus in September (hopefully) for 2019 entry. Ideally we’d like a place at WHSG as it’s walking distance from home.

She’s receiving tutoring but it seems this is the norm now so our only advantage is that we’re catchment! At home we’re just reading a lot and I’m asking lots of questions about what she’s reading as she finds comprehension difficult- especially the inference questions!

Trying very hard to manage expectations and hopes- both mine and hers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:37 pm 

We’ll be sitting for the CCHS exam as it is the school closest to us. We’re undecided whether to also try for the CSSE exams at the moment. We’re not doing any tutoring, and to be honest, not a lot of work for it at the moment, though that will certainly change come the summer!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 am 

we are on our 3rd and thankfully final 11+ journey. Son is in year 9 at WHSB and my daughter just started King Johns last september. Our daughter is also hoping for WHSG as like you it is walking distance from home.

All our children received tutoring, I don't feel they are given anything different to the work I would do with them at home only as it comes from a "teacher" rather than their mother they are more willing to do the work. I do however have past CSSE papers and a selection of bond books etc which I will get our daughter to sit over the summer holiday for time practice.

We are also trying to read widely at home at bedtime but I work shifts so find that getting through the books can be quite slow as hubbie isn't so good at reading with them. Where possible we have also watched the film of the book to reinforce storylines etc.

Will be very glad when September is over and my stash of past papers and materials, which go back to 2007 as my younger brother sat the exam in 2012 can be past on to someone else!

Kara