Age standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Inspired111

Age standardisation

Post by Inspired111 »

Can anyone advise about age standardisation and how they will calculate to affect the score? It says from the CSSE website this will be taking in effective for result analysis from this Oct 2018. My daughter is a September baby and taking this Sept test, she’s not the most confident type and I’m just so worried about this will affect her.
scary mum

Re: Age standardisation

Post by scary mum »

It won't really affect her, it's just that she will be compared to other children born in the same month.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Inspired111

Post by Inspired111 »

scary mum wrote:It won't really affect her, it's just that she will be compared to other children born in the same month.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Scary Mum for your reply. I think it will affect those older babies as they may have to score a few more marks higher than those summer babies in order to get the same standardisation score.

I have tried to google and research more about this and it seems this will be the case.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Inspired111 wrote:
scary mum wrote:It won't really affect her, it's just that she will be compared to other children born in the same month.
Thanks, Scary Mum for your reply. I think it will affect those older babies as they may have to score a few more marks higher than those summer babies in order to get the same standardisation score.

I have tried to google and research more about this and it seems this will be the case.
Not necessarily - it could be that the August corns have a higher average raw score than the October born, or whatever and would therefore have a slightly lower age standardised score for the same underlying raw score.

Going back a bit now, but in DS1's year, from his primary, the DC who passed were an October birthday, two May and a June (DS1).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Inspired111 wrote:

:shock: :shock: You can say it, and think it, as much as you like, or you can listen to what TM etc are telling you!!!!! The whole point about age standardisation is that it removes any perceived advantage or disadvantage of age. Children are compared with those born in their birth month. If the August born children do "better" than the "September"" born children in that year, then age standardisation standardises the scores (in this case the younger children would have to score slightly higher in raw marks to get the same standardised score as the older children.) Or vice versa, or somewhere in between. Age standardisation usally only accounts for 1 or 2 marks different in raw scores - do not rely on it to get your child a pass mark, conversely do not blame it if they do not.

There are so many threads about it on here, where it is explained time and time again, if you have a look you will be able to read them all and see various explanations of the above, in different forms, but all basically saying the same thing!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now