Hockley area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nkanna

Hockley area

Post by Nkanna »

My DS is joining WHSB this September. We have been exploring areas around the school to move in and liked Hockley area. I am looking for some informations/suggestions

1) any particular area within Hockley and transport facilities
2) kid's activities/sports centres for swimming/badminton/tennis

Has anyone recently moved to this area or currently living there whose DS would be joining this year or already going to WHSB ? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
ToadMum

Re: Hockley area

Post by ToadMum »

There is a consortium bus that picks up in Hockley, I think, but public transport-wise, it is better situated for SHSB than WHSB - train to Prittlewell or Arriva route 7 / 8 to right outside the school. However, it is only a ten minute or so walk to WHSB from the hospital, which is the nearest 7 / 8 stop.

Hockley station is on the Southend Victoria line, about ten minutes out from Southend Vic. Next stop Rayleigh, which has more shops, a Pizza Express and even a nightclub. (Risking the ire of any Rayleigh residents on here, I'm not sure which of those two I find the most surprising :lol: ).

With regard to sports, Clements Hall leisure centre in Hawkwell (20 minute walk or on the no.8 bus route from Hockley station) has a 25m, 8 lane pool and badminton courts, but not tennis. The only tennis courts I know of are at David Lloyd on Snakes Lane and in the Leigh / Westcliff area, but I don't play tennis (or live in Hockley - my knowledge of the area comes mainly from using Clements Hall, walking in Hockley Woods and from many trips to Belchamps Scout Activity Centre - but I'm sure there must be some somewhere. Btw, Belchamps runs activities for non-Scouts as well, which might interest your DC?

Can't help with which bit of Hockley to go for, I'm afraid, although there are some very swish new houses around Folly Lane / Church Road. (Oh and I think that may be where the tennis club is, as well, having just had a quick look at the map :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

Hi, I have 2 Boys at WHSB the Stephenson’s school bus goes from the Spa at about 7.50/8am and returns them home by 4.30pm. If they miss the bus - it’s public bus to southend hospital and a 20min walk/run up the road to the school. Stephenson bus 815 - route and timetable online.

My eldest joined a badminton club at fiztwmarc school in rayleigh which meet Tuesday and Friday nights £2 a session (PAYG).

Feel free to message me any questions and School (have 4yrs knowledge) and lived in Hockley 13years.

Good luck searching
voyagers

Post by voyagers »

Hockley is a lovely place to live - very quiet!

There's also a David Lloyd a few miles away on route to WHSB that has a lot of tennis facilities if that's what you're into.

Rather handily there is a lawn tennis club just off of folly lane in Hockley that does Tennis lessons and runs summer camps. It's small - only 3 courts - but perfectly formed.

The folly lane area of Hockley also just scrapes into the catchment of KEGS if that's important to you. We looked at both KEGS and WHSB for our son and decided WHSB was a better fit.
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

voyagers wrote:Hockley is a lovely place to live - very quiet!

There's also a David Lloyd a few miles away on route to WHSB that has a lot of tennis facilities if that's what you're into.

Rather handily there is a lawn tennis club just off of folly lane in Hockley that does Tennis lessons and runs summer camps. It's small - only 3 courts - but perfectly formed.

The folly lane area of Hockley also just scrapes into the catchment of KEGS if that's important to you. We looked at both KEGS and WHSB for our son and decided WHSB was a better fit.
Hockley's quiet? :lol:

Have you been stuck in the traffic through the town?
Sure the countryside is quiet but how many can afford to live around there? Not exactly affordable housing
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now