Bond assessment papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nickib

Bond assessment papers

Post by Nickib »

Hi. The test is getting so much closer now & it all seems much more real. DD has been using the bond assessment papers with her tutor & is consistently scoring 90/95% on them. He will soon start her on practice papers. You are all so knowledgeable on here so just wondered if this is a good indicator of possibly gaining an oc place in Chelmsford?
I know every year is different, but would love to hear some opinions.
Thanks in advance xx
Daogroupie

Re: Bond assessment papers

Post by Daogroupie »

It is a shame her tutor has kept her on papers she finds easy and not moved her onto more challenging papers.

I don't use Bond at all as they are just too easy and they do not reflect the level of the papers they are going to be doing.

If she is getting 95% she is wasting her time doing them.

Have you signed her up for any mocks at all? DG
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

I haven’t signed her up for any mocks. Maybe i’m being naive but I trust the titor’s judgement. He has a very good track record.
Thanks for your reply x
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Does she do the paper timed in exam conditions? DG
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

That is what he will be starting with her soon. She has done some short timed excerises, asking me to time her & has done quite well. She says she actually prefers working to a timer as it really focuses her.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So she has been having as much time as she wants on the bond papers, does she do them at home and bring them in for marking? Timing is probably the biggest reason why very able students fail to do well in 11 plus exams.

It is a concept that is not really a part of primary school educations until SATS in Y6 by which time the 11 plus is done and dusted. DG
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

The tutor comes to our home so it’s 1:1. Up until now it has been as much as time as she wants but that is changing. He’s been building her up & filling any gaps in her learning which haven’t been covered in school. He is now starting to work on timing. Thanks so much for your replies x
Daddy cool

Post by Daddy cool »

Nickib wrote:Hi. The test is getting so much closer now & it all seems much more real. DD has been using the bond assessment papers with her tutor & is consistently scoring 90/95% on them. He will soon start her on practice papers. You are all so knowledgeable on here so just wondered if this is a good indicator of possibly gaining an oc place in Chelmsford?
I know every year is different, but would love to hear some opinions.
Thanks in advance xx
Hi Nickib,

Sounds to me (and as Bond recommends) as though your tutor should have moved you daughter up to the next level of assessment papers if she is achieving these scores consistently. What age range of assessment papers is she currently working with?

As you are probably aware once finished with assessment papers Bond also offer packs of timed test papers that can be quite helpful, with both multiple choice and standard style questions-including papers for the CEM.

I would also encourage you not to place complete trust in a tutor who ultimately has little accountability if your daughter fails to gain an offer. There is room for you to also take an active role in her preparation. I know of two families who had growing concerns over their tutors approach, but were reluctant to act on them. Unfortunately they are now lamenting this decision.

As other posters have mention developing you daughter’s time management is central to maximising her results. Maybe move her around the house to different rooms when working on practice papers as a means of experiencing a multitude of settings.

Lastly, and most critically is to allow your daughter to have fun and be a 'child'.
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

Thanks for your reply. As I said, the tutor will be moving her on to timed papers. I completely understand what you’re saying about not putting complete trust in tutors but I have researched this tutor a lot & he is a very successful 11+ tutor. I have recently started to take a more active role in her 11+ preparation.

She is definitely having fun & being a child. When we decided to take this route, we agreed that it would be no pressure & not impact on any activities outside of school. She is a keen gymnast & there have been times that gym has taken priority over tuition due to clashes. I don’t want it to be a case of her being coached to pass a test & then not cope with the demands if she gains a place. We got a tutor purely for familiarisation & to cover anything not already covered in school.

Again, thank you all for your responses. I have found this forum so helpful in terms of information about all aspects of 11+.
xx
old frog

Post by old frog »

I agree with your approach. My son will be sitting the CSSE exam, which I know is a different type of test, and we are in catchment for the Southend schools. We have also been working through the Bond assessment papers. He has only just completed his first timed maths test, as this is his stronger area. I will not be asking him to complete an English test within a set time until the summer. We are simply reading through them together and discussing the vocabulary. This approach worked with my older children. Anything else would be too much pressure for both of us and probably cause tears.