CCHS/KEGS Prom

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ahap

Re: CCHS/KEGS Prom

Post by ahap »

This year prom was at Boreham House a lovely venue. CCHS students organised it (I think) and all yr 11 KEGS boys were invited. Payment £50 were made to a parent's account. Food Buffet style. Party finished at 11pm. There was no after party as far as I know. Everyone looked amazing.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

ahap wrote: Payment £50 were made to a parent's account...
That's not a great idea .. presumably the parent is sending you all a copy of expenses etc?
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

All the mums I go out with were a bit :shock: at the idea of paying into a random account... but did anyway!

There was an after-prom in Little Baddow. A good deal closer than Epping. I enjoyed seeing all the photos. They all looked amazing and very grown up.
KB

Post by KB »

The problem we came across was the school wouldn't handle money because they would then be associated with the event and there were insurance issues.

If you are in this position as the organiser the important thing is to make sure there is a clear audit trail and to avoid handling cash so you can demonstrate all income and expenditure if challenged.

We considered opening a new bank account with another parent but then your credit history can get linked to theirs. There are other kinds of account which avoid this but it's more of a faff to open them.

In our case the cost of a ticket was not significant ( just a disco and basic buffet) and DC had successfully run several charity events previously so I guess trust had been built and we were happy to take the responsibility.

If you are looking at larger amounts than opening a proper account for the purpose would seem advisable. Keeping clear and verifiable records still being essential.

I believe in many cases the parents' association will either organise or oversee the event.