Taking work on holiday

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nickib

Taking work on holiday

Post by Nickib »

Just curious, do many of you take 11+ work for your dc when you go on holiday? DD’s tutor has suggested that we should. I wasn’t home at the time so will have to speak to him. There is no way!!!!!! That is family relaxation time.
Guest55

Re: Taking work on holiday

Post by Guest55 »

No I wouldn't and didn't - it's a holiday!
KB

Post by KB »

How long are you away for?

The most we did was 10-15 mins a day keeping up quick fire questions eg times tables and a few verbal reasoning ( under the old system). On top of that they did a bit of reading or we read together and discussed ( not a chore for my DCs) most days.
On days it didn't fit in we didn't push it.

Given the timing of the test I imagine the tutor wants to avoid slipping back.

My advice would be that you know what suits your child - total chill out or keeping things quietly ticking over.
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

DD is an avid reader anyway, always has a book everywhere she goes so that isn’t a problem. I can understand the tutor’s reasoning but no! We’re only away for 7 nights & a holiday is about quality family time. As I work day & dh works evenings, we don’t get much time together as a family so holidays are a chance for real quality time together.

I have already decided we’re not taking any work but I was just curious what other people’s opinions are. Thanks for your replies.
KB

Post by KB »

Goodness if it's only 7 nights I quite agree!
From the tutors instructions I'd assumed it was at least a fortnight if not longer.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

With three down and one to go, I will say the only time we have/will take any away is last year. DC3 becaude our timing was quite poor. And we were away the last week of the holidays, and he had a school residential literally the week before the test only returning 6:30 the night before. If we hadn't he is the type that would get out of the rhythm quite quickly.
HopefulMumto2boys

Post by HopefulMumto2boys »

We took some papers away for DS1 a couple of years ago, and will do the same for DS2 in a couple of weeks. It is so easy for their brains to 'switch off' during the holidays...... we have found 20 minutes a morning just keeps them ticking over. It's personal choice though, I don't think it will harm them to have some time off. But, by the same token, 20 minutes in the morning, while I'm sorting swimming stuff, packing picnic etc really isn't too much of a chore.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Although it was several years ago now we certainly didn't take anything away with us. They took reading books but no formal work, if you are able to take a game like bananagrams or scrabble and a pack of cards, things you can do as a family.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

Surprisingly, dd has decided to bring her revision books with her & if she has some spare time, she will do a little bit, or not. It is entirely up to her. We’ll see what happens.

Thanks for all your replies xx
kg309

Post by kg309 »

We are taking work away as this is really the only proper time we have to go through exam preparation properly as I work 13 hour shifts so don’t have much time on the evenings and husband works long hours too. The children are away for 4 weeks over the summer 2 with us and 2 with granny who is a primary school teacher so
She will do some reading and continuous writing in the form of a holiday diary.

I think you basically decide to do what works for you as a family :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now