2019 entry paper - the aftermath

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Appuskidu

Re: 2019 entry paper - the aftermath

Post by Appuskidu »

ToadMum wrote:
Appuskidu wrote:My DC was very dejected coming out as well-said that one paper was stupidly hard and left out loads. Does anyone know if there’s a marking scheme for the writing?
https://www.csse.org.uk/index.php?optio ... &order=ASC

The marking scheme for the current paper will be made available when the papers are released for sale, assuming that they will be as usual at the beginning of February.
Thanks for the link-I can see previous mark schemes for the past English and maths but not for the continuous writing there-have I missed it?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Appuskidu wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Appuskidu wrote:My DC was very dejected coming out as well-said that one paper was stupidly hard and left out loads. Does anyone know if there’s a marking scheme for the writing?
https://www.csse.org.uk/index.php?optio ... &order=ASC

The marking scheme for the current paper will be made available when the papers are released for sale, assuming that they will be as usual at the beginning of February.
Thanks for the link-I can see previous mark schemes for the past English and maths but not for the continuous writing there-have I missed it?
Last section on the marking scheme; the wording is slightly different on the 2015 entry paper, but this is what it says on the familiarisation paper marking scheme:
Continuous Writing 15 marks
This will be marked as one piece of work and the candidate will be assessed on accuracy,
spelling, punctuation, the quality of writing and originality.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
co7

Post by co7 »

DS was really upset afterwards. Said that there were question-types on one of the papers which he hadn't seen very often (if at all).

He's been fine through revision and any mock papers he's done. I wonder whether they'd ramped-up this year's paper as I saw the one for 2018 entry and thought it was a bit straight-forward; certainly the paper that DS thinks was particularly difficult this year.

We'll see in three weeks...!
AlP80

Post by AlP80 »

Our daughter sat it at WHSG on Saturday morning.

Said one paper was a little trickier than the past CSSE papers (2015-18) she'd used in her prep & thought the second paper was better than the past papers.

As with most parents & their little'uns, we love & are proud of her whatever happens. Our local comps are ok, and she's the kind of girl who will learn wherever, so que sera, sera.
Appuskidu

Post by Appuskidu »

AlP80 wrote:Our daughter sat it at WHSG on Saturday morning.

Said one paper was a little trickier than the past CSSE papers (2015-18) she'd used in her prep & thought the second paper was better than the past papers.

As with most parents & their little'uns, we love & are proud of her whatever happens. Our local comps are ok, and she's the kind of girl who will learn wherever, so que sera, sera.
That’s interesting. My DC said it was the second paper that was the awful one!
AlP80

Post by AlP80 »

Appuskidu wrote:

That’s interesting. My DC said it was the second paper that was the awful one!
Ah, i only mean second as the second one i'm talking about, not the order they came on the day, sorry! I'll check which order she sat them and can then clarify...
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

Exactly what my DD said. She used the word "Tricky and not straight forward " and clearly more challenging than her mocks and previous papers. But the other was surprisingly more straightforward than her mocks and other similar papers. But that's a child talking; who knows. Fingers crossed
Appuskidu

Post by Appuskidu »

I wonder how it will affect the scoring if one paper was really hard and loads of kids left questions out?!

When’s the other sitting, does anyone know?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Appuskidu wrote:I wonder how it will affect the scoring if one paper was really hard and loads of kids left questions out?!

The English and Maths papers are marked and standardised separately, before the scores from both are combined for the overall standardised score. So if lots of candidates left out or got wrong lots of questions on either paper, the mean raw score for that paper will be lower than if few left any out at all and most got what they did answer correct.

One thing to reflect on is that at least some of the questions will have been designed to see how well the candidate can use knowledge and skills that they should already possess at their stage in the education process, to work out things presented in a different way. So a child who has been led to believe that they have been coached in everything they could find on a paper may have little or no advantage over the child who just takes each question as it comes and looks for a link into it to turn the content into something more familiar. Once at a grammar school, they will be expected to be able to assimilate new concepts quickly, rather than the teacher having to explain things over and over. All secondary schools need to cover the same main curriculum, after all; there aren't special GCSEs for selective schools :) .

The reserve date sitting is on Tuesday 2nd October.
Last edited by ToadMum on Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Appuskidu

Post by Appuskidu »

ToadMum wrote:
Appuskidu wrote:I wonder how it will affect the scoring if one paper was really hard and loads of kids left questions out?!

The English and Maths papers are marked and standardised separately, before the scores from both are combined for the overall standardised score. So if lots of candidates left out or got wrong lots of questions on either paper, the mean raw score for that paper will be lower than if few left any out at all and most got what they did answer correct.

One thing to reflect on is that at least some of the questions will have been designed to see how well the candidate can use knowledge and skills that they should already possess at their stage in the education process, to work out things presented in a different way. So a child who has been led to believe tgatwgd have been coached in everything they could find on a paper may have little or no advantage over the child who just takes each question as it comes and looks for a link into it to turn the content into something more familiar. Once at a grammar school, they will be expected to be able to assimilate new concepts quickly, rather than the teacher having to explain things over and over. All secondary schools need to cover the same main curriculum, after all; there aren't special GCSEs for selective schools :) .

The reserve date sitting is on Tuesday 2nd October.
Thank you-yes, that makes sense!

What is tgatwgd?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now