Shenfield to Colchester Schools Transport

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
co7

Re: Shenfield to Colchester Schools Transport

Post by co7 »

I went to CRGS and made friends with a guy who travelled up from Shenfield every day by train/bus. Back then (mid/late 80s) he was commuting the farthest in our year.

He lasted a couple of years before he left to join a school closer to him. It's a fair trek every day of the week when you're 11-12yrs old. If you think that there's also 1-2hrs of homework a night from Yr7 to fit in.
T0tleybrook

Post by T0tleybrook »

Have researched this a bit more now. Journey of about an hour with train to Marks Tey and transfer to bus 71 that goes into Lexden via Stanway (A12). This bypasses the town centre altogether. Bus 71 goes from Chelmsford bus station if trains are playing up, but will take 90minutes on the road. No more longwinded than a journey into the Southend schools really. Saying that, lots of fantastic comprehensives in the Shenfield/ Brentwood catchment.
KB

Post by KB »

Do be aware that the Lexden Road route ( as with much of Colchester) is unhelpfully busy at school rush hours.
If you hit Lexden Road much after 8am the queues are pretty bad.
Equally, getting out at end of school takes much longer than might be expected.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

You can walk down lexden road faster at school chuck out time some days, and it's a loooooooong road

Side point. Essex County Hospital have sent my son an appointment for 15:10 this week... Wish me luck parking
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I disagree that all parents put their child's welfare first.

Last year a parent told me that they knew the closer school was the better option but they feared what their colleagues at work would say if they turned down the school that was higher up the league tables. DG
MSF

Post by MSF »

Just found this post. There is now a coach from September 2022 from shenfield/ ingatestone to Colchester. If anyone interested PM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now