2019 entry paper - the aftermath

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
3krazykids

2019 entry paper - the aftermath

Post by 3krazykids »

I’m feeling quite emotional tonight.
Ds3 took the entry test this morning. I thought he was fairly confident going in, I selected st Thomas more for the smaller environment.
He has done 3 mocks with a group in a local hall.

He came out very shaken up. Was upset with one of the papers which he left 5 questions. Although feels positive about the other.
He has asked so many questions about the results & outcome.

I’ve obviously re-assured him & made it very clear I’m proud of him but I feel so drained and nervous for the results.

We are only in catchment for KEGS :?
Leighmum2019

Re: 2019 entry paper - the aftermath

Post by Leighmum2019 »

You’re not the only one. DD isn’t a genius by any stretch and her feedback was that both papers were ok; given that all the other feedback seems to be that one paper was much harder makes me think she’s probably misunderstood the paper and got most of it wrong!

We’re happy with our non-grammar catchment choices so it’s not a big deal for us but DD will be so disappointed as she’s had her heart set on WHSG for years.
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

My DD said the harder paper was clearly pitched at old level 6 mainly with few 5s. That challenging in my view. In her words she said "it was not easy" . Fingers crossed
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

There seems to be a general consensus that one paper was particularly hard today. DD didn’t finish that paper but thankfully doesn’t seem too phased by it.

All we can do is be proud of all of our dc for the tremendous work & effort they put in. It’s out of our control now so what will be will be.

Best of luck to everyone for results day.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Oguledoen wrote:My DD said the harder paper was clearly pitched at old level 6 mainly with few 5s. That challenging in my view. In her words she said "it was not easy" . Fingers crossed
Levels went four years ago - she couldn't possibly judge this ...
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Guest55 wrote:
Oguledoen wrote:My DD said the harder paper was clearly pitched at old level 6 mainly with few 5s. That challenging in my view. In her words she said "it was not easy" . Fingers crossed
Maybe they used the old level 6 SATS papers to revise?
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

pushymother wrote:
Guest55 wrote:
Maybe they used the old level 6 SATS papers to revise?
Exactly my point. Most DCs who revised that know the difference. The fact still remains that these exams are pitched at levels 5 and 6; whilst most schools focus on getting them to level 4 to pass SAT.
Appuskidu

Post by Appuskidu »

My DC was very dejected coming out as well-said that one paper was stupidly hard and left out loads. Does anyone know if there’s a marking scheme for the writing?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

pushymother wrote:Maybe they used the old level 6 SATS papers to revise?
The KS2 maths tests were never 'proper' level 6 - so watered down they were a joke.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Appuskidu wrote:My DC was very dejected coming out as well-said that one paper was stupidly hard and left out loads. Does anyone know if there’s a marking scheme for the writing?
https://www.csse.org.uk/index.php?optio ... &order=ASC

The marking scheme for the current paper will be made available when the papers are released for sale, assuming that they will be as usual at the beginning of February.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now