Age Standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ayparents

Re: Age Standardisation

Post by ayparents »

@Greatt84, Good luck to you and your DD.
Greatt84

Post by Greatt84 »

Seems like there really has been a massive shift to the right this year.
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Agreed - early indications looks as though the shift is around 3 points; particularly for ooc applicants to the Southend/Westcliff schools.
ayparents

Post by ayparents »

Leighmum2019 wrote:Agreed - early indications looks as though the shift is around 3 points; particularly for ooc applicants to the Southend/Westcliff schools.
Yes. The stats collated so far seem to suggest that. But probably, its bit too early to say anything for sure. Probably next 24-48 hours would provide a much clearer picture.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Leighmum2019 wrote:Agreed - early indications looks as though the shift is around 3 points; particularly for ooc applicants to the Southend/Westcliff schools.
329 got Southend girls last year, we got 337.89 and no grammar school offered
Janita

Post by Janita »

It is utterly depressing. I honestly do hope that DS can move up the waiting list to secure a place at CRGS or KEGS as SouthEndBoys are too far (2 round trips each day 4-5hours) - although its only 30 miles...it takes forever.
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:
329 got Southend girls last year, we got 337.89 and no grammar school offered
I’m not entirely convinced that the shift is all related to age standardisation; there’s been a massive rise in ooc kids sitting the test and if you look at the FOI request data on WhatDoTheyKnow you’ll see that the ooc kids score, on average, more than the ic kids- therefore the number of ooc applicants for places will have gone up which will push down the median ooc score.

There is evidence that ooc applicants are listing the Southend grammars as 3rd/4th preference without having visited or having made a plan on how to get there- IMO this is more unfair than age standardisation.
failingtopass

Post by failingtopass »

We are OOC, but we did make sure we visited all the schools to see which would suit our DD. Infact only after seeing all 3 of out choices we felt WestCliff was what we really liked and would suit our DS and she also liked it. To us it boiled down to Chelmsford or WestCliff. We felt that WestCliff had DT which our DD loves so chose it as first.

I do agree there are many parents choosing schools having not even seen them or thinking about the practicalities of getting there.

ALSO: As the cap for IC is around 303 it seems this year WestCliff IC did really well. Let us not forget the IC are not competing with OOC as I understand it, there are a set number of places for OOC and IC. If the IC places do not get filled then the OOC can take some places. If I recall correctly about 20% of places are for OOC in the Southend schools.

The rise in OOC scores are part due to age standardisation and also children working harder.
Last edited by failingtopass on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Janita wrote:It is utterly depressing. I honestly do hope that DS can move up the waiting list to secure a place at CRGS or KEGS as SouthEndBoys are too far (2 round trips each day 4-5hours) - although its only 30 miles...it takes forever.

I'm sorry, but seriously - why apply, in that case? If it's going to take your DS that long to get to school on a normal day, how is he going to get in when it snows? We have more than a decade's experience with SHSB and I can only remember a very few occasions when the school has not opened, or has had to close early.

And forgive me for nit-picking, but it's Southend High School for Boys / Southend Boys' / SHSB. Not 'SouthEndBoys'. It's an excellent school, very popular with those of us who live in the area.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
failingtopass

Post by failingtopass »

ToadMum wrote:
Janita wrote:It is utterly depressing. I honestly do hope that DS can move up the waiting list to secure a place at CRGS or KEGS as SouthEndBoys are too far (2 round trips each day 4-5hours) - although its only 30 miles...it takes forever.

I'm sorry, but seriously - why apply, in that case? If it's going to take your DS that long to get to school on a normal day, how is he going to get in when it snows? We have more than a decade's experience with SHSB and I can only remember a very few occasions when the school has not opened, or has had to close early.

And forgive me for nit-picking, but it's Southend High School for Boys / Southend Boys' / SHSB. Not 'SouthEndBoys'. It's an excellent school, very popular with those of us who live in the area.
The allure of a grammar school education often means people forget the practicalities. As a parent it's understandable, but in reality we should all do some homework before we apply.

A good child will do well in any school....I'm proof of that, however I chose a grammar for my DD becuase reflecting to back in the day, I do not want my child to teach themselves without good support. I do think though with the access to the internet and in general most school these days are better than the past. However, modern day children face much more challenges then I did as a child and I wanted her to get the most support (as any parent would) to do the best she can, regardless of what that may be.

I have noted how much better the primary school expectations are even when compared to my DD to my DS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now