Age Standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mr Dad

Re: Age Standardisation

Post by Mr Dad »

Thanks everyone for the clarification. It still seems strange that given the results have shifted upwards (albeit by a small percentage margin) and that the updated guidance was published (which included this year's results) on Monday, when CSSE had all the statistical data to hand following the age standardisation inclusion - that it's not all reflected in the cut offs.

Put it this way, if this were an 11+ question and taking 303 as a cut off ...
a)What is the mean of 303x4 (with 4 representing the last 4 years). The answer is 303 - OR
b)What is the mean of (let's say) 308 + (303x3)? The mean answer is then 304.25.

If a candidate were to answer the 2nd question as 303 in the exam... they would be wrong and lose a point!!

It's a small movement I grant you, but if CSSE are simply going to continue to give 303 (as in above's example) as a guide, when this year's results clearly alter the figures, why update the guidance sheet at all - ever??

Or again, am I missing something? :roll:
Last edited by Mr Dad on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appuskidu

Post by Appuskidu »

Am I right in thinking that no one born in September/October has failed when they would have passed- because of age standardisation? They have scored just as they would without? No marks have been taken away from them, but marks have been added for anyone younger, is that correct?
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

Appuskidu wrote:Am I right in thinking that no one born in September/October has failed when they would have passed- because of age standardisation? They have scored just as they would without? No marks have been taken away from them, but marks have been added for anyone younger, is that correct?
That's my understanding of it. I doubt it's applied to preclude slightly older children but to level it up as it were.

There's quite a good explanation here
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wontsleeptonight

Post by Wontsleeptonight »

Mr Dad wrote:Thanks everyone for the clarification. It still seems strange that given the results have shifted upwards (albeit by a small percentage margin) and that the updated guidance was published (which included this year's results) on Monday, when CSSE had all the statistical data to hand following the age standardisation inclusion - that it's not all reflected in the cut offs.

Put it this way, if this were an 11+ question and taking 303 as a cut off ...
a)What is the mean of 303x4 (with 4 representing the last 4 years). The answer is 303 - OR
b)What is the mean of (let's say) 308 + (303x3)? The mean answer is then 304.25.

If a candidate were to answer the 2nd question as 303 in the exam... they would be wrong and lose a point!!

It's a small movement I grant you, but if CSSE are simply going to continue to give 303 (as in above's example) as a guide, when this year's results clearly alter the figures, why update the guidance sheet at all - ever??

Or again, am I missing something? :roll:
The previous four years the mean was 300. This year it is likely to be 305.3 which is a large difference when you consider the thresholds.
Wontsleeptonight

CSSE have responded to me, their mathematician is looking into this so hopefully we will have some clearer guidance issued.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

Wontsleeptonight wrote:CSSE have responded to me, their mathematician is looking into this so hopefully we will have some clearer guidance issued.
What was your specific question/query to CSSE?
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Taken from the very useful guide guide posted above "As children are exposed to new vocabulary at the rate of more than 1,000 words per year, the difference can be very significant for the 11+ tests. In order to remove this unfairness, the marks are adjusted to make them “standard” for all children, regardless of their age."

This is a fact. The CSSE have obviously noticed a statistical trend in children based on there age which has led to an adjustment of Days Younger (than 01/09) x 0.0126244 which is significantly higher than the maths adjustment of Days Younger x 0.0068468

A child born on 31/08 would get a maximum of 6.911859 standardised marks added in English and 3.748623 standardised marks in maths - in raw mark terms we're talking about 4 marks. Given they've had a whole year less development than their peers, at a crucial age, I'd say this is pretty fair. Think of your child a year ago - how much have they learnt outside of school in that time that they didn't know last year?

In reality, most children will fall somewhere in between 01/09 and 31/08 - I think it's a reported fact that less summer born children actually take the test so assuming the mean score will rise to 305.3 is most probably wrong because of the distribution of those taking the test. I would guess than the mean has probably risen to around 304. Again, I think to suggest green, amber, yellow guides would change because of age standardisation is unnecessary (CSSE have a legal obligation to apply it) and can't be proved to be a direct result as required scores have risen year on year without age standardisation - CSSE will expect them to increase (for ooc) again this year with or without age standardisation.
Wontsleeptonight

I think you are specifically speaking of the westcliff and Southend schools, which this doesn't really affect as much, as they don't appear to be oversubscribed. I am more thinking the super-selectives where the thresholds will change. I'm not trying to argue, or scaremonger it's a fact.
I think people should have the information they need to make an I informed decision, and I don't feel that the CSSE have presented the facts in an accessible format. Also they have fundamental presented data as standardised when it doesn't meet the criteria to be called so.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

A problem I have with age-standardisation is that ceteris paribus, a child born on 31Aug has a [much?] higher probability of securing a grammar school place, than one born on the following day, i.e. 1Sep, albeit that the intakes would 12months apart.
hessian77

Post by hessian77 »

What about children with non-English native language? Who started to learn English at 6 years age, like my son? Perhaps he isn't in any imbalance versus native speakers when taking this test?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now