Southend for Girls/Westcliff for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Challengephew

Southend for Girls/Westcliff for Girls

Post by Challengephew »

Hello everyone new to this forum and I would appreciate any form of advice and not really sure how things work but I will give it a go and getting a bit anxious. DD got a score of 324 OOC I was wondering if it is worth putting any grammar school for Essex. Also wondering from the little I have read if I decide to do that would she have a better chance for Southend or Westcliff as a first choice
Thanks
BillBev18

Re: Southend for Girls/Westcliff for Girls

Post by BillBev18 »

Hello. For Sept 18 entry, WHSG was 338 and above in the green zone and they only offered to 335 OOC by September (waitlist only dropped 12 places from March to September) and SHSG was 330 and above in the green zone and I read on a thread that SHSG offered in Sept at 324 OOC.

If you search WHSG and SHSG in the Essex forum, you will see all the threads.

My daughter scored 331.66 last year and although green for Southend, we only wanted WHSG due to travel. She was still waitlist 17 in August. I had expected to be offered eventually but it didn’t happen.

The scoring requirement looks higher this year for the Southend schools but it just depends.

I went to the headteachers talk this time last year and everyone was bombarding the SHSG head with their daughters scores but she could offer no guarantees.

Good luck.
Challengephew

Post by Challengephew »

BillBev thank you so much for the information I will definitely look at those threads. Still not clear but it gives me a bit more insight.
I hope your daughter is happy at the school she eventually went to
Challengephew

Post by Challengephew »

You mentioned the scoring requirements looks higher this year, what made you reach that conclusion
Thanks
BillBev18

Post by BillBev18 »

Every year the scores required are raised - you can tell this from the historical traffic light information and also by looking at the threads over the years to see what scores were accepted. For OOC in Sept 17, WHSG green zone was above 336 and this year its above 338. The WHSG yellow zone for OOC in 2017 was 329 and it’s 336 this year. I assumed a score of 331 would be offered as yellow zone was 329 but it wasn’t. That may not be the case this year - you never know.

SHSG OOC green zone for Sept 17 was above 330 and it’s above 335 this year.

Last year more people took the 11 plus than the previous year so fingers crossed, last year may have been a bumper year for applications and this year won’t have been so high which may help.

Sometimes the heads can give an indication at the October meetings as to what score they expect to offer - I think these meetings are tomorrow so maybe somebody will post details then.
Challengephew

Post by Challengephew »

Thank you so much for the clarification. I guess I was hoping since the Maths was difficult for most children based on what a lot of parents have been saying I was thinking it might not be so, I guess I can only hope
KB

Post by KB »

Challengephew wrote:Hello everyone new to this forum and I would appreciate any form of advice and not really sure how things work but I will give it a go and getting a bit anxious. DD got a score of 324 OOC I was wondering if it is worth putting any grammar school for Essex. Also wondering from the little I have read if I decide to do that would she have a better chance for Southend or Westcliff as a first choice
Thanks

You should put Southend and Westcliff in the true preferred order.
Whichever you put first will be where you are offered if your score is high enough. If its not then your score will be looked at for your second choice and so on.
It doesn't decrease your chance of an offer because you place a school second or third etc.
However, if you meet the score for your first choice you don't get looked at for any other school.