experience of moving to 6th form at Essex Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sleeplessinhalstead

experience of moving to 6th form at Essex Grammars

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Would anyone have experience of moving to either of the Chelmsford or Colchester Grammars for 6th form that they would be able to share? Especially of moving from a non-selective school to a Grammar.

My daughter is in year 11, we have been to couple of open evenings so far. She is quiet and studious. I sense that she is concerned that the other students will be very bright and worried she would be at the bottom end of the class if she were to get a place.

We'll have a better idea of whether or not she is likely to get an offer after the mocks in December, she has always had very good reports and grades so at the moment I don't see any reason to rule out the grammars.

thank you
T0tleybrook

Re: experience of moving to 6th form at Essex Grammars

Post by T0tleybrook »

I know of girls who have moved from other grammars or non-selective schools to KEGs (sorry not for CCHS or ColHSG), and they have all loved it.
KB

Re: experience of moving to 6th form at Essex Grammars

Post by KB »

Many of those moving to CRGS 6th form are from non selectives.
Due to the strong competition for places they are usually just as academically able as existing students.
However, she will almost certainly need to adjust to being in a group of people at equal ability rather than being at the top.
Each year CRGS has some outstanding students who few can match.
The big advantage is the competition tends to raise the level generally.
Teaching tends to be fast moving and this can cause some initial concerns as new students adjust.
Because there are a large number of new students in the 6th form there are many ( all of the girls!) coming in new and lots going on to help with settling in.
There are also lots of extra curricular and other ways if making your mark which are valued by staff and other pupils.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now