WHSB enquiry visit info

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wontsleeptonight

Re: WHSB enquiry visit info

Post by Wontsleeptonight »

Totallyutterly wrote:Dr Bevan confirmed today that there were 254 (sorry if a few numbers out I didn’t write it down) boys in catchment with 303 and above.

So all will get a place at WHSB or SHSB just can’t guarantee which.
Great news for those in catchment :D
Do you know if this is a higher number than before? Just wondering how this might impact those from ooc?
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Totallyutterly wrote:Dr Bevan confirmed today that there were 254 (sorry if a few numbers out I didn’t write it down) boys in catchment with 303 and above.

I wonder how we could find this information for girls? Anecdotal evidence suggests more I/c boys have passed this year than I/c girls
jdyer612

Post by jdyer612 »

Hi for Dr Bevan, i wrote down the figure of 245 boys with a score of 303 and above. He said that all boys will therefore be guaranteed a grammar school place but you may not necessarily get your first choice. He said, for example, if all 245 boys put down SHSB as their first choice, then only the top 150 would actually get in. and in that case, then you might need 306, say, to guarantee SHSB and the same applies for WSHB. Although it's unlikely to happen, he really did stress that you needed to put down your schools in the genuine order of preference that you wanted.
LukesDad77

Post by LukesDad77 »

Totallyutterly wrote:
Dr Bevan confirmed today that there were 254 (sorry if a few numbers out I didn’t write it down) boys in catchment with 303 and above.

I wonder how we could find this information for girls? Anecdotal evidence suggests more I/c boys have passed this year than I/c girls
We visited WHSG this afternoon and the head advised, with a big wink, that all in catchment students will almost certainly have a grammar school place with a score above 303. The remaining places will boost OOC numbers.

The wait for parents/girls with a pass mark of 303 is over..... the wait is now for the preferred grammar school. I would love to know the numbers on here regarding preference to SHSG or WHSG.

The headmaster also suggested that more girls had passed than boys but i'm sorry i cant remember if he meant overall or just in catchment.
Totallyutterly

Post by Totallyutterly »

jdyer612 wrote:Hi for Dr Bevan, i wrote down the figure of 245 boys with a score of 303 and above. He said that all boys will therefore be guaranteed a grammar school place but you may not necessarily get your first choice. He said, for example, if all 245 boys put down SHSB as their first choice, then only the top 150 would actually get in. and in that case, then you might need 306, say, to guarantee SHSB and the same applies for WSHB. Although it's unlikely to happen, he really did stress that you needed to put down your schools in the genuine order of preference that you wanted.
Ah I was close!! Thanks for putting the right figures
Totallyutterly

Post by Totallyutterly »

262 girls have passed in catchment, so pretty close to the boys!

I’d be interested now to know all the stats. How many in catchment took it, how many out of and the number out that passed boys / girls
failingtopass

Post by failingtopass »

Totallyutterly wrote:262 girls have passed in catchment, so pretty close to the boys!

I’d be interested now to know all the stats. How many in catchment took it, how many out of and the number out that passed boys / girls
Is that 262 just for SHSG and WHSG or all of SouthEnd?

the PAN for the above 2 combined is 364. If you take away 262 then you have around 11 places added to the OOC quota making the OOC quota for the above 102 (assuming 262 was referring to only the above 2 schools).

This makes sense as to why the 303 still remains a 303 and also the amber and green has increased a little bit. Which gives credence to the thought that the guidance sheet is relatively accurate.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

failingtopass wrote:
Totallyutterly wrote:262 girls have passed in catchment, so pretty close to the boys!

Is that 262 just for SHSG and WHSG or all of SouthEnd?

the PAN for the above 2 combined is 364. If you take away 262 then you have around 11 places added to the OOC quota making the OOC quota for the above 102 (assuming 262 was referring to only the above 2 schools).

This makes sense as to why the 303 still remains a 303 and also the amber and green has increased a little bit. Which gives credence to the thought that the guidance sheet is relatively accurate.
In the priority admissions area means those living in the postcodes SS0 - SS9 inclusive. So, the 262 will be the number of girls living in those postcodes, who have scored 303 or above. No reference at all to which school they may decide to apply to, be it WHSG, SHSG, CCHS (part of the Southend priority area is also IC for CCHS), Shoeburyness, St Bernards or even, you know, I don't fancy the journey after all, mum - please can I just go to KES anyway? :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Anyhope

Post by Anyhope »

Hi
How many places are available in year 7 respectively for Southend boys and Westcliff boys.
How many are reserved for i/c and how many left for OOC.
DS had 328.9 ...Any hope for Southend OOC?
Need some guidance please.
Thanks in advance
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Anyhope wrote:Hi
How many places are available in year 7 respectively for Southend boys and Westcliff boys.
How many are reserved for i/c and how many left for OOC.
DS had 328.9 ...Any hope for Southend OOC?
Need some guidance please.
Thanks in advance
Slightly surprised that you have gone through the process of putting your DS in for an entrance exam without consulting the admissions policies of the schools to which it relates, but...

SHSB (PAN 180):

Priority is given to those candidates
whose parents' primary residence (as
assessed by receipt of Child Benefit or a
signed affidavit or other legal document
to confirm the child's usual place of
residence) lies within the postcode
areas SSO, SS1, SS2, SS3, SS4, SS5,
SS6, SS7, SS8 and SS9, subject to
their passing the entrance
examination. A quota of up to 5/6 of the
published admissions number is reserved
at this school for children in this category.

Places are allocated in order of the mark
achieved, higher passing candidates first.
The school is 'full' within the priority area
when it has taken its full quota of pupils
from within that area or when there are
no more passing candidates who have
listed the school as a preference.

WHSB (PAN 185):

Priority is given to those boys whose
parents’ primary residence (as assessed by
receipt of Child Benefit or a signed affidavit or
other legal document to confirm the boy’s usual
place of residence) lies within the postcode
areas SS0, SS1, SS2, SS3, SS4, SS5, SS6,
SS7, SS8 and SS9, subject to their passing
the entrance examination. A maximum of
139 places is reserved at this School for
boys in this category
. Places are allocated in
order of the mark achieved, higher passing
candidates first. The School is ‘full’ within the
Priority Area when it has taken its full quota of
boys from within that area or when there are no
more passing candidates who have listed the
School as a preference.

At both schools, priority area places not required by priority area applicants are offered OOC.

http://www.southend.gov.uk/downloads/fi ... let_201920
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now