Selective or Comprehensive?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
banggoesthatidea!

Selective or Comprehensive?

Post by banggoesthatidea! »

I just wanted to say that if there are any of you still hanging around here from around 2005, my DC ended up at St. Martins, nice glossy brochure and first rate reputation! Not her/our choice, ie joining both siblings at one of the Southend grammars but a great option, we thought. DC had got over the "pass" mark so there was me wishing I lived in the Southend area catchment, but such is life.

Encouraged said DC to make the very most of the time at the new school, both socially and academically.
The result of the non-allocation to grammar at 11 was pretty grim academically speaking. Remember the National Institute for Educational Research, in one of their old papers, suggested that children who are "Gifted" (as opposed to very bright!) do better in comprehensives, fractionlly, but those who are of average to just above average ability do better in grammar schools.
Sorry if I have their quote wrong but, I will testify to its accuracy!!! :)
banggoesthatidea!

Re: Selective or Comprehensive?

I probably should have mentioned that I originally had a different username, etc on here :)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Really happy to hear things worked out well! I’m off to see if I can figure out who you were! :D
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

A nice positive post for those who've not received a grammar place this year :?
banggoesthatidea!

Sorry if I have upset anyone. I would obviously have to say that many children achieve fantastically well at a comp but the school didn't suit DC at all and I really shouldn't imply that it wouldn't be a great school for others so I apologise.
I ought to also mention that DC changed school for the sixth form to another highly thought after comp (mainly because they wanted to do a particular subject there that wasn't available at their original school. They achieved much better grades at A level in their chosen subjects than they had at GCSE in those subjects, oddly. It might have been to do with maturity of mind though :)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I’m sorry - I obviously misunderstood.
banggoesthatidea!

Ah don't worry and apologies all round because I know I can be a little blunt!! As you can probably tell by the fact that I am still hanging around here several years on, her non allocation didn't make me too happy and the allocation date every year still makes me feel ill :) :)
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Not to be blunt but your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I've read it several times now.

I've got: you live out of Essex, scored over the 303, didn't get an ooc place and went to the local comp?

That's all I can see

Have I missed something?
banggoesthatidea!

No, you haven't missed anything. I apologies if I seem like I am just waffling (which probably am :) )
I am just saying that my child went to a high performing comprehensive and I had high hopes but it didn't turn out the way I hoped it would. They had some great opportunities socially and non academically, they made some really good friends and they were happy but I really believe I can say, without hesitation that they would have done better, if only academically in grammar school.

I know of children who had gained a place in previous years with far lower 11+ scores but who had achieved fantastic results at GCSE and A level. I personally believe this is because of the ethos of the grammar school. I have said that I realise lots of children in comprehensives (including areas where there are grammar schools) do amazingly but the school my child went to did not work well for our particular child.

So, yes, I guess I am not making a particular point, just talking about our experience and venting old frustrations :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now