2019 Maths Paper query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DadEleven

2019 Maths Paper query

Post by DadEleven »

Good Afternoon

I've received the Maths paper - my DS - said he wanted to sit it again, so I said, cool - 60min. There you go boy.

After he completed it he commented that most of the questions were not the same - I know this sounds impossible - but he has incredible memory and can even recall some questions word by word. So I trust him on this.

He and his 3 other friends that sat on the 21st of Sept (edit 22 Sept - typo) had a discussion today - and they all confirmed the same.
Their paper most certainly had questions about conversion rates between pounds and dollars after Brexit vote and most definitely not any "angle" ( like the one we received in the post)

Just found this interesting. As he scored 40/60 for the actual test and 55/60 for one in post (which he said he found easier). He completed his maths paper in time (had 7 min spare to check that he did not miss any pages)

Could it be possible that some areas in the two papers were not the same?
Last edited by DadEleven on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shnapc

Re: 2019 Maths Paper query

Post by shnapc »

There might have been 2 papers as there were 2 different dates for the exams because of the number of applicants. They may have just released the second paper?
Rhs900

Post by Rhs900 »

My daughter who took the paper on the 21st September said exactly the same thing ! When she looked at the paper she didn’t recognise any of the questions and told me there was a dollar to pounds questions about after Brexit ! I rang the CSSE as I thought it might have been the maths paper that was sat two weeks later and they reassured me it was the paper everyone took on the 21st September.
DadEleven

Post by DadEleven »

Well ... what can I say?
Last edited by DadEleven on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DadEleven

Post by DadEleven »

Maybe something else to consider for those who are appealing? Anyone else who perhaps sat the second date who can confirm that they did NOT get a question about Brexit?
masari_pirates

Post by masari_pirates »

If you don't mind me asking, what month are your DC's born? If I put on my conspiracy hat on it's possible that slightly harder questions could be given to those born from Sept to Nov?
Sarmum

Post by Sarmum »

My DS has a fairly good memory and he is completely confident that the maths copy I received is exactly the same he sat on the main test date. I could see how he was thrilled as he recalled the questions, especially the harder ones.

You may have received a different paper or your child sat on a different date, I’m not sure.
Janita

Post by Janita »

My son also sat on the 22st and had the Brexit question that is NOT in the paper we received from CSSE when we bought it a week ago.

When did you son sit SarMum?
Last edited by Janita on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DadEleven

Post by DadEleven »

Son is Feb born
Sarmum

Post by Sarmum »

Janita wrote:My son also sat on the 21st and had the Brexit question that is NOT in the paper we received from CSSE when we bought it a week ago.

When did you son sit SarMum?
The main test date was 22nd September, not 21st. That’s the date my DS sat. He’s June born, every end of year school report states he’s a highly able mathematician. He was so shocked by that maths paper he couldn’t stop talking about it for the next three weeks. Another boy in his school who took the test on the second sitting seemed relaxed and scored a higher standardised score than DS, not sure of his raw marks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now