Chelmsford County High School or CRGS Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tigermama72

Chelmsford County High School or CRGS Girls?

Post by Tigermama72 »

My DD is due to sit the CSSE and CEM in Sep 2019. She is not top of her class but is working hard towards the tests. I am keen on CCHS, Chelmsford as my DS is in KEGS so it would be convenient if DD got in CCHS. However I am hearing conflicting opinions about both schools. Academically CCHS seems to be stronger but I know a few girls who are currently there and buckling under pressure. Colchester girls has better pastoral care and overall development.

Would like some feedback on both schools if possible please.

Thanks!
Proudmumregardless

Re: Chelmsford County High School or CRGS Girls?

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Go and look round both and see how you feel. Im Ex-CHS and from what I've heard it's not changed much since I was there, it's got more of a private jolly hockey sticks feel to it whereas my dd is at Colchs and it's a much more relaxed vibe. The pastoral care is amazing my daughter has had a tricky time lately and been very well supported.

However

ColCHS haemmorages sixth formers. They either end up at CRGS or KEGS (my daughter has her sights set on KEGS) for whatever reason. Its a shame.

Also. Can your dd get to colchester without a mental commute and without using a private coach. Will she engage with the school, will you engage with the school. Can you get her to the 4am departure for Ypres and midnight pick up or will you rely on her making local friends...

Oh and its Colchester County High school for girls. Not CRGS Girls. They're two separate schools. They hate each other. Well. Senior management do.

And if ever there was an argument for not hot housing its your opening post
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

My DD is at CCHS and there is definitely no sign of buckling quantities of pressure. They seem to have a lot of fun and the teachers are very supportive.
I'd completely agree with the commute being a massively important factor.
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

At the end of the day you don't know what your daughter's experience of either school will be, people can give you accounts of their daughter's experience but that is largely irrelevant to your particular child. No one can help you make this decision, you have no idea whether your daughter will thrive or feel like a failure.

In your position I would go for the closest school, because my personal belief is that a long commute is an added stress, it affects their social lives and prevents proper involvement with the school and activities. Its tiring and expensive, at a time when teens need sleep and hobbies and fun, especially at a high pressure academic school. I think it takes away many of the benefits of choosing a grammar school in the first place.

FWIW DD enjoys CCHSG, pastoral care is good, she is excelling academically, she has found clubs and groups that suit her personality, it was better than the alternatives of an Inadequate comprehensive or a religious school. Its not perfect, its not the dream school for many, pressure is intense, there are lots of very wealthy privileged girls and a lot of neurosis and issues. But we haven't experienced CCHS, so we can't make that comparison.

It is however slightly worrying that you are putting your DD through the pressure of preparing for two completely different tests, one of which is for a school you don't know the name of. Perhaps it would be better to concentrate on one style of test.