Preparation advice for CEM please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tigermama72

Preparation advice for CEM please

Post by Tigermama72 »

I have been struggling with DD more recently as we approach closer to the 2019 CEM exams. I wish I could say she is excellent and confident in either literacy or numeracy, but unfortunately she seems to be somewhere in the middle for both Maths and English. Her NVR is good. I have been struggling with time issues. We have been doing a mixture of the CGP subject 10 minute tests as well as Bond 10 mins problem solving maths and also doing the CGP Practice test packs. We are also doing past papers from CSSE.
For comprehension, if we are reading the passage and working together with lots of questioning in between she is obviously able to answer the questions. However when she works independently sometimes she is able to answer well but not within the time limit and sometimes she answers in the time limit but quite inaccurately.
Her tutor has been giving her lots of homework and I think it’s all a bit much for her ebcbevause she is struggling to just keep up with the homework given rather than learn anything. I have decided now to go for quality over quantity and rather than try and finish books I am thinking of doing short bursts of topics with her.
My biggest concern right now is her maths. Her performance in few of the mocks that she has done are mainly average. It’s not that she does not understand the various topics / areas in Maths but she takes time to put them all together and apply quickly.
Is anyone facing a similar situation?
What is a safe score (if any) for CCHS out of curiosity? Has anyone been on waitlist on CCHS and got in and if so what was the score?
Thanks in advance!
Proudmumregardless

Re: Preparation advice for CEM please

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Average marks in both subjects can often be the way to go rather than excelling in one of the other. I know that's often the case for csse.

Best preparation is a relaxed household and boost her confidence. Do some simple games to tone up the weak points so set her a question at breakfast and ask her for the answer at dinner or stick up a word for her to learn during the day then ask for it in a sentance at dinner.

Kids perform better without pressure

Also CEM don't release raw scores as pointed out in multiple threads on here
Tigermama72

Re: Preparation advice for CEM please

Post by Tigermama72 »

Thanks for the advice proudmum!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now