CEM exam yesterday 14th Sep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tigermama72

CEM exam yesterday 14th Sep

Post by Tigermama72 »

So D day arrived yesterday and DD finally gave the CEM at CCHS. She came out sobbing saying it was the hardest ever and she had to leave out the end of many sections. Apparently NVR was very tough. Anyone else struggled yesterday?
Not sure now if she stands a chance for entry to CCHS 2020. Anyone knows how waiting lists work vis a vis scores which come out mid Oct? I hope my DD isn’t the only one who struggled so much. She worked really hard and did fairly well in mocks and papers at home so I am a bit shellshocked after yesterday.
kenyancowgirl

Re: CEM exam yesterday 14th Sep

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Children are notoriously bad at judging how well they have done - many will come out saying it was easy and then be disappointed that they have done badly, possibly because they misunderstood - others will think it was terrible but still have done well. Try not to overthink it - move away from having conversations with your daughter about it, otherwise you are raising the significance of the test in her mind. Let your worries be yours alone.

You will be given results which enable you to make decisions in a timely fashion to put on your CAF form by the deadline at the end of October. Then you wait until National Allocation Day in early March - at that point, waiting lists open - they are held in the strict criteria which will be on each schools website. If you have been allocated a school on your CAF which was not your top choice, usually you are automatically placed on the waiting list of higher listed schools (but someone from your area will confirm that).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote: You will be given results which enable you to make decisions in a timely fashion to put on your CAF form by the deadline at the end of October. Then you wait until National Allocation Day in early March - at that point, waiting lists open - they are held in the strict criteria which will be on each schools website. If you have been allocated a school on your CAF which was not your top choice, usually you are automatically placed on the waiting list of higher listed schools (but someone from your area will confirm that).
Yes, in Essex you are automatically put on the waiting list for schools on your CAF above the one you are allocated.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tigermama72

Post by Tigermama72 »

Thanks Kenyancowgirl for your reply. Yes I didn’t talk much about it but gave lots of praise and encouragement. They sense there’s a lot riding on these exams but I assured her whichever school she ends up in will ultimately be the right one for her and she should be proud that she worked hard and gave it her best which is most important. Told her to make a fresh start, dust off and forget yesterday and give her best for the CSSE in a week. But I think yesterday’s test really knocked her confidence especially since she was doing ok in mocks and at home. Fingers crossed next one won’t be quite as gruelling.

kenyancowgirl wrote:Children are notoriously bad at judging how well they have done - many will come out saying it was easy and then be disappointed that they have done badly, possibly because they misunderstood - others will think it was terrible but still have done well. Try not to overthink it - move away from having conversations with your daughter about it, otherwise you are raising the significance of the test in her mind. Let your worries be yours alone.

You will be given results which enable you to make decisions in a timely fashion to put on your CAF form by the deadline at the end of October. Then you wait until National Allocation Day in early March - at that point, waiting lists open - they are held in the strict criteria which will be on each schools website. If you have been allocated a school on your CAF which was not your top choice, usually you are automatically placed on the waiting list of higher listed schools (but someone from your area will confirm that).
Tigermama72

Post by Tigermama72 »

Thanks a lot ToadMum
ToadMum wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote: You will be given results which enable you to make decisions in a timely fashion to put on your CAF form by the deadline at the end of October. Then you wait until National Allocation Day in early March - at that point, waiting lists open - they are held in the strict criteria which will be on each schools website. If you have been allocated a school on your CAF which was not your top choice, usually you are automatically placed on the waiting list of higher listed schools (but someone from your area will confirm that).
Yes, in Essex you are automatically put on the waiting list for schools on your CAF above the one you are allocated.
Gyani_sh

Post by Gyani_sh »

I heard the same that it was difficult!!
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

If they all found it tough then she may do better than expected

My daughter and I both came out of our 11+ going "argh that was evil" we both passed.
Meribel

Post by Meribel »

It’s funny you say that as my DD said the verbal reasoning was really tough, but the maths and non verbal reasoning was fine. I suppose it depends on what their strengths are.
Tigermama72

Post by Tigermama72 »

Yes I believe timing was a huge issue for most children. :(
Gyani_sh wrote:I heard the same that it was difficult!!
Tigermama72

Post by Tigermama72 »

It’s a shot in the dark and I am hoping against hope that is the case.
Well done to both of you!!
Proudmumregardless wrote:If they all found it tough then she may do better than expected

My daughter and I both came out of our 11+ going "argh that was evil" we both passed.