Transport to Colchester Brentwood/Shenfield/Ingatestone

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Transport to Colchester Brentwood/Shenfield/Ingatestone

Post by ToadMum »

Colcmum wrote:Please do also have a think about how you will manage any early starts (there are one or two early start school trips a year - one is 5.30am) or late finishes (things like clubs, rehearsals, Duke of Edinburgh), social lives and parties, bad weather, train problems, parents evenings, information evenings, fairs/fundraising activities and other schools involvement.

Colchester is very congested with traffic so I’d try and do a practice run at school drop off time on an actual school day to see where any problems might come from and how long it might take. The schools are quite far from the train station and the traffic can add a lot of extra time to a bus journey. Regular problems on the A12 means that coaches are regularly late to school.
Ooh, no Colcmum, you must have got that last bit wrong, surely? Dead on an hour from Gants Hill to school and never any problems with the traffic (traffic? What traffic? in fact) is what I'm sure I've seen asserted :D.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
T0tleybrook

Post by T0tleybrook »

Colcmum wrote:Please do also have a think about how you will manage any early starts (there are one or two early start school trips a year - one is 5.30am) or late finishes (things like clubs, rehearsals, Duke of Edinburgh), social lives and parties, bad weather, train problems, parents evenings, information evenings, fairs/fundraising activities and other schools involvement.

Colchester is very congested with traffic so I’d try and do a practice run at school drop off time on an actual school day to see where any problems might come from and how long it might take. The schools are quite far from the train station and the traffic can add a lot of extra time to a bus journey. Regular problems on the A12 means that coaches are regularly late to school.
We’ve already had a couple of invites to birthday parties, and made the effort to attend, even though it’s meant trekking to the end of Essex to do so (I’ve yet to have to drive into Suffolk!). There are also frequent concerts, plays and other social events throughout the year. We’ve just had the Year 7 welcome party, but a good number of girls and parents did not make it as they all lived far away. CCHSG is a great school not just because it is academically outstanding. The effort made to instil a close knit school community doesn’t go amiss. Our DDs will develop so much more if they make use of all opportunities available, not just sitting in the classroom 5 days a week. The same can be said for any successful school.
EssexMum2019

Post by EssexMum2019 »

Think very carefully about the long day you subject your children to when having to take the train everyday. Today for instance there were absolutely zero trains running to/from Colchester since 5am, as at midday they have only started laying on just one train per hour which will no doubt be like a cattle truck (not pleasant for teenage girls to be standing up tight with strangers). For those that eventually make it in to school (probably 2 hours late) they will still have a daunting journey home (will be lucky to be back home before 6pm at this rate). How much time does that now leave for dinner and homework (not to mention family time/downtime)?
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

EssexMum2019 wrote:Think very carefully about the long day you subject your children to when having to take the train everyday. Today for instance there were absolutely zero trains running to/from Colchester since 5am, as at midday they have only started laying on just one train per hour which will no doubt be like a cattle truck (not pleasant for teenage girls to be standing up tight with strangers). For those that eventually make it in to school (probably 2 hours late) they will still have a daunting journey home (will be lucky to be back home before 6pm at this rate). How much time does that now leave for dinner and homework (not to mention family time/downtime)?
Well it’s a good job half term started today for Colchester!
EssexMum2019

Post by EssexMum2019 »

Half term starts officially next Mon but luckily CCHSG have non pupil days today and tmw. CRGS however are still at school this week and the trains continue to be screwed up today for various other reasons. First they laid on one train per hour at noon, by 3.30pm there were very few trains “due to stock and staff displacement”. And really that’s not even an unusual day for Colchester transport, I do feel for the kids getting home tonight in this weather!
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

40mins from gidea Park... And the rest.

I live on Lexden Road and it's often quicker to walk to the school than drive it. At peak rush hour I can eat my breakfast, clear up and have a brew and the same car will be sat outside my window.
MSF

Post by MSF »

If anyone is interested I have now found a coach from ingestone/shenfield to Colchester grammar. Pm me.
User30

Post by User30 »

MSF wrote:If anyone is interested I have now found a coach from ingestone/shenfield to Colchester grammar. Pm me.
Hi

Could you please share the details.

We live in Brentwood and we're after CRGS for our DS.

Thanks in advance!!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now