Verbal bias

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
OldGreyWizard

Verbal bias

Post by OldGreyWizard »

Hi, My DD had a score of 216, 10 away from the passmark. That put her 193 and on the waiting list.
What really gets me is that there appears to be a bias towards the Non Verbal paper as opposed to the Verbal. I don't dispute the scores, just the way they are weighted. 51/75 in the Non verbal, 68% and 76/90 in the verbal, 84%, standardised scores of 103 and 113 respectively.

You don't have to be Stephen Hawking to work out that there is an unequal weighting applied to the Non Verbal paper. There is age to take into account of course but this is surely attributed to each part of the exam equally.

I think that given a proper equal rating her score would be nearer 229 than 216.

If there are any other Redbridge parents willing to publish their chlld's results and their standardised scores, I could prove or disprove my theory.
If there were enough of us we might be able to do something.

Does anyone know the formula that Redbridge use?

Regards

OldGreyWizard
tami

Post by tami »

my DS score 51/75 nvr :shock: 80/90 vr :lol: over all standardised 220
Tami
shah

Post by shah »

my dd scores
46/75 nvr 98 score
70/90 vr 107
overall score 205

shah (bearing in mind she is april born)
hope this helps
KB

Post by KB »

Def. not claiming to understand Redbridge system! but just an idea - doesn't standardisation take account of how hard the papers are?
e.g. if non verbal paper was relatively difficult & childrens' scores generally lower, then they would get higher standardised score for less actual marks obtained.
Would this help explain the apparent inequality you are concerned about?
Sorry if this is irrelevent to your issue - just ignore it!!!
chad

Post by chad »

Again...not knowing the redbridge system... but

Age standardisation compares with how well other children have done..

Posted in the Kent section..

To those of you with children born in August- the way age standardisation works is that children are only compared with other children born in the same month as them. So if 25% of September-born children score over 120 in a paper (for example), 25% of August-born children will also do so.

The difference in raw marks needed to achieve the same standardised score therefore depends on the difference in actual perforance between the age groups.

So the 'standardisation, would also be affected by the performance of the cohorts in each paper. :roll: