Travel from Upminster

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Katielou

Travel from Upminster

Post by Katielou »

Hi all,
My son is sitting the tests Monday and we have put Southend Boys as 1st preference and Westcliff as 2nd. We live in cranham so he would travel from Upminster. I just wanted to know if anyone on here has kids with experience of this route to and from these schools. If so what time do the kids leave/get home and what route do they take? I've put it on route planners of course but the problem is these add bus routes and I know from experience sometimes it's easier or quicker just to walk etc so just wanted to know from experience if possible?
Also if anyone could tell me the costs that would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Katie
ToadMum

Re: Travel from Upminster

Post by ToadMum »

For WHSB, the nearest station is Chalkwell, about 20-25 minutes' walk (no bus route) and a stiff uphill walk for the first five minutes or so up to Leigh Road. The option including a bus to outside the school would be to stay on to Southend Central and get the 29 (Arriva) or 21 (First), but tbh, I've no idea how many do that. Arriva runs a School Only service on the 29 for one journey at about 8.15, I think.

SHSB is about a mile and a half from either Westcliff station (no bus option) or Southend Central. From the latter, there are plenty of buses, but the request from the school currently is not to add the additional risk of the bus journey to that of using the train. Obviously, one hopes that the situation will be more normal by next September, though.

Looking at the season ticket calculator on the C2C website, a monthly child season between Upminster and Chalkwell is £119.25; there used to be a further discount when C2C was part of the greenrailtravel Scholars Srason Ticket scheme, but I don't know whether there is one available now.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Katielou

Re: Travel from Upminster

Post by Katielou »

Thanks for the reply. Quite a mission whatever way then really. I think we’ll have to see how the tests go and go from there. He’ll only be 11 on the 30/08/21 seems like a lot for a young child but are the opportunities worth it do you think?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now