Greater Anglia academic pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hopeful22

Greater Anglia academic pass

Post by Hopeful22 »

Hi everyone, does anyone know when the Greater Anglia scholar season tickets go on sale please? Thanks
ToadMum

Re: Greater Anglia academic pass

Post by ToadMum »

Hopeful22 wrote:Hi everyone, does anyone know when the Greater Anglia scholar season tickets go on sale please? Thanks
They have usually been available by now. I tried clicking on the link on the score, but all I got was a message telling me that as my clock was an hour ahead, I could not be connected.

Changing 'my' time back to GMT didn't help, however...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hopeful22

Post by Hopeful22 »

Tickets can be purchased on the website from 26 August. Will be interesting to see how they’re going to be able to process the new ticket purchases around in such a short timescale.......
Sunshine1976

Post by Sunshine1976 »

Hi does anyone know how the scholar tickets work for year 11 students? My son will turn 16 in April so wasn’t sure what ticket to buy? Can I still get an academic year or do I get monthly or termly? I’ve tried calling greater Anglia last week but couldn’t get through.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sunshine1976 wrote:Hi does anyone know how the scholar tickets work for year 11 students? My son will turn 16 in April so wasn’t sure what ticket to buy? Can I still get an academic year or do I get monthly or termly? I’ve tried calling greater Anglia last week but couldn’t get through.
I am pretty sure that the answer to that one used to be in FAQs somewhere on the site, but the last time it was relevant to us was back in2016 and I know we had to get a '16+' version of the annual season ticket as DD's birthday is mid-September. I have to say that even without the current issues the website has with my phone's time setting, when we were buying the tickets, it sometimes took a bit of lateral thinking to find what I was after.

Sorry not to be much help.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

So..

The answer may come via the National Rail Enquiries site, which states:

Discounts

ChildrenChildren (aged 5-15 years inclusive) receive a 50% discount on Season Tickets and Travelcards, for both First Class and Standard travel.
7-Day Season Tickets/Travelcards - If the child reaches their 16th birthday during the validity of the ticket, a 7-Day Season Ticket with the 50% discount will remain valid.
Monthly or Longer Season Tickets or Travelcards - A child who becomes 16 years old on the first day of a 'period' Season Ticket/Travelcards pays the adult rate. If the birthday is within the ticket's validity period, but after the first day, the half rate ticket will continue to be valid, but needs to expire up to a maximum of four months after the 16th birthday.
Annual Gold Cards - These tickets are not issued to children. Full details on Annual Gold Cards.Railcards

Railcard discounts are not available on Season Tickets, as these tickets are already heavily discounted.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fa ... ckets.aspx

I'm not sure that National Rail Enquiries is any easier to make contact with at the best of times, but a request to them to confirm that these rules cover the Scholars scheme might be a second 'prong of attack'?
Sunshine1976

Post by Sunshine1976 »

Thanks. I went to my local train station ticket office and they confirmed that the ticket will be valid for 4 months after the 16th birthday.

Separately, does anyone know how refunds/ claims work for covid and school closures?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sunshine1976 wrote:Thanks. I went to my local train station ticket office and they confirmed that the ticket will be valid for 4 months after the 16th birthday.

Separately, does anyone know how refunds/ claims work for covid and school closures?
That one is on the website -clicking on the link at the top of the page will get you to here:
https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/contact ... und-update.

It says to contact the business travel section re full year season tickets, I think?