CSSE 2021 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CM3_dad

Re: CSSE 2021 entry

Post by CM3_dad »

chandnip wrote:To all parents who are discussing CSSE question papers and finer details, please be careful. This may disqualify your child if the CSSE board is not happy about it. The same set of question papers may be used for any late sitters this year giving unfair advantage. Better to be safe.
all 3 exams have been done. scores are out. What remains confidential, that may be an advantage to someone?
pure76

Post by pure76 »

They must have adjusted scores accordingly - I have seen same scores out of 60 with same birth month as my son, the SS is different by a couple of points - so...............is this down to adjustment? possibly.
pure76

Post by pure76 »

Multiple choice answers are not 'easier' - they can often be ambiguous, time is needed to answer by elimination. often, challenging vocabulary.
Saffery13

Post by Saffery13 »

I agree- the multiple choice questions are often very tricky. Some of the options pick up on a particular word which may have a particular meaning in the context of a difficult passage and it’s easy to choose incorrectly.
CM3_dad

Post by CM3_dad »

pure76 wrote:Multiple choice answers are not 'easier' - they can often be ambiguous, time is needed to answer by elimination. often, challenging vocabulary.
...and multiple choice was deliberately chosen for question in question because without it, text portion it refers to is too hard for kids and not comparable to the one where they expect a written answer. You do have a better chance of guessing at it though.
cybekpmc

Post by cybekpmc »

I agree that multiple choice could be trickier but not time consuming compared to writing a long answer for 5 or 6 marks question. Also you dont have much too lose if 1 MC question gets wrong compared to 6 marks.

At the end CSSE should have used the same style / format /difficult level paper for assessment across all the 3 days.
Stateschooled

Post by Stateschooled »

Just looked at the standardisation sheet and there were 476 less children taking the CSSE compared to last year! Not sure whether the lower number compared to the last two years is due to COVID or low a low birth year?
pure76

Post by pure76 »

cybekpmc wrote:I agree that multiple choice could be trickier but not time consuming compared to writing a long answer for 5 or 6 marks question. Also you dont have much too lose if 1 MC question gets wrong compared to 6 marks.

At the end CSSE should have used the same style / format /difficult level paper for assessment across all the 3 days.
I am not sure and cannot comment on why the papers were different, may be to avoid parents/children passing on info to others sitting later. The child will not lose all 6 marks. those 6 marks are not based on one answer, will be a few points they are asked to make, they will get marks for the ones that are correct. You can look at the papers from other schools in other areas to see some examples.
Krishna186

Post by Krishna186 »

pure76 wrote:They must have adjusted scores accordingly - I have seen same scores out of 60 with same birth month as my son, the SS is different by a couple of points - so...............is this down to adjustment? possibly.
The age adjustment factor goes down to number of days - could be because of that .
cybekpmc

Post by cybekpmc »

On top of English paper pattern/difficulty level difference I believe this year Age Std has played a major role.. youngest child(Aug born) will get 12 more marks than the eldest (Sep born)!!!!!!!! Big leap of a difference. Don't know what to say now .. Total shambles !!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now