Are Colchester and Chelmsford nice towns for family?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
appletree008

Are Colchester and Chelmsford nice towns for family?

Post by appletree008 »

We are considering moving to Colchester , would be grateful if anybody can provide some local knowledge and living experience. We have been to Colchester once and enjoyed the journey, but worrying living there would be very different from a tourist's point of view.

Thank you!
Last edited by appletree008 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colcmum

Re: Are Colchester and Chelmsford nice towns for family?

Post by Colcmum »

Yes, Colchester is- plenty of green spaces and activities, quite safe. Some lovely leafy areas, especially around the grammars, lots of groups and activities, close to the sea.
Downside is the traffic.

Happy to answer any specific questions.
appletree008

Post by appletree008 »

Colcmum wrote:Yes, Colchester is- plenty of green spaces and activities, quite safe. Some lovely leafy areas, especially around the grammars, lots of groups and activities, close to the sea.
Downside is the traffic.

Happy to answer any specific questions.
Thank you so much Colcmum! Is it easy to find a football club for kids 10+? And which area would you recommend to look at if want to either rent or buy?
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

Yes, very easy to find a football club anecdotally, lots of small local ones and then the ones associated with Colchester football club. Neither of my children are interested in football but it’s a big thing, I think the Colchester team work with primary schools and after school clubs.

Nice areas depend on whether you need a primary place or not. If it’s just the grammars then you have more freedom. I’d stick to south and west Colchester because crossing from north to south is where the bulk of the traffic is. Good primary schools in the south are prettygate, home farm, Stanway, Montgomerie, St. John’s green and lexden.

I love Prettygate- leafy, safe, nice community, range of houses and prices, relatively close to town, but it’s a bit of a faff to the station. Lots of people like Christchurch which is roughly around Lexden Road to Butt Road, lots of character houses but parking is terrible and it’s all permits. St Mary’s is closer to town and the station but smaller houses and parking again. Lots of new builds going up in Stanway. Straight Road has a more

The areas I’d avoid are Greenstead, Monkwick, Blackheath and parts of New Town.
appletree008

Post by appletree008 »

Colcmum wrote:Yes, very easy to find a football club anecdotally, lots of small local ones and then the ones associated with Colchester football club. Neither of my children are interested in football but it’s a big thing, I think the Colchester team work with primary schools and after school clubs.

Nice areas depend on whether you need a primary place or not. If it’s just the grammars then you have more freedom. I’d stick to south and west Colchester because crossing from north to south is where the bulk of the traffic is. Good primary schools in the south are prettygate, home farm, Stanway, Montgomerie, St. John’s green and lexden.

I love Prettygate- leafy, safe, nice community, range of houses and prices, relatively close to town, but it’s a bit of a faff to the station. Lots of people like Christchurch which is roughly around Lexden Road to Butt Road, lots of character houses but parking is terrible and it’s all permits. St Mary’s is closer to town and the station but smaller houses and parking again. Lots of new builds going up in Stanway. Straight Road has a more

The areas I’d avoid are Greenstead, Monkwick, Blackheath and parts of New Town.
Super helpful. I am grateful for so much information. :P
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

I forgot to finish my sentence about Straight Road which has some lovely houses and estates off it. I also meant to mention Poets Corner which is at the opposite end of Lexden road from the town centre. All of the roads are named after poets.

A cheaper option to live in the nicer areas and close to the grammar school is the Shrub End council estate, between Shrub End and Layer Road.

Lexden Road and the roads to the south of it are some of the most expensive houses in Colchester, beautiful but very pricey.

Glad to have been of help, love Colchester.
appletree008

Post by appletree008 »

Colcmum wrote:I forgot to finish my sentence about Straight Road which has some lovely houses and estates off it. I also meant to mention Poets Corner which is at the opposite end of Lexden road from the town centre. All of the roads are named after poets.

A cheaper option to live in the nicer areas and close to the grammar school is the Shrub End council estate, between Shrub End and Layer Road.

Lexden Road and the roads to the south of it are some of the most expensive houses in Colchester, beautiful but very pricey.

Glad to have been of help, love Colchester.
Brilliant, very kind. Merry Christmas!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now