Have your children scored what you expected?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hongkong

Have your children scored what you expected?

Post by hongkong »

Was just wondering if your children scored what you expected.

As this year has been so strange I am thinking maybe scores are different than usual.

Not sure if other people have found that to be true or not.

I have heard a real mixture of results. No one getting higher than expected but a lot getting much lower.

What are your experiences of this? I don't really want to know your score , just if it is higher, lower or what you expected.
CM3_dad

Re: Have your children scored what you expected?

Post by CM3_dad »

good question. For CSSE, I had ds and and dd. I had them do past papers under exam conditions. I managed to get hold of formula to standardise these, and there was a wide range of upto 20 ponts for each child. Both were within the range, dd on the upper end, ds on the lower end. Happy with dd score, disappointed with ds, although not completely unexpected.
JordanC

Post by JordanC »

My DD had sat the past CSSE papers at home prior to exam - for English scored between 45-50 on all of them - came out with 48. She had always struggled a bit more with the maths - apart from the past papers, we did no real CSSE specific tutoring so some gaps in her knowledge..... She felt she'd had a shocker so we were expecting the worst - however scored 39. Pleased with her result in the end..... SS of 359
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

hongkong wrote:Was just wondering if your children scored what you expected.

As this year has been so strange I am thinking maybe scores are different than usual.

Not sure if other people have found that to be true or not.

I have heard a real mixture of results. No one getting higher than expected but a lot getting much lower.

What are your experiences of this? I don't really want to know your score , just if it is higher, lower or what you expected.
Definitely some 7-8 marks less in maths and 5 less in English based on my DC's performance on past papers sat under exam conditions.
bobsmith

Post by bobsmith »

My DS did as expected in maths but scored 10-15 marks lower in English than he had done in any of the previous papers he did as mocks. Overall score of 320, which would be too low for KEGS or Colchester based on all previous years so we're not hopeful.
failingtopass

Post by failingtopass »

About 7-8 LESS in maths.

May be 2-3 MORE in English

Maths was their strongest subject.
Saffery13

Post by Saffery13 »

About 10 less in maths and 5-8 less in English
CM3_dad

Post by CM3_dad »

bobsmith wrote:My DS did as expected in maths but scored 10-15 marks lower in English than he had done in any of the previous papers he did as mocks. Overall score of 320, which would be too low for KEGS or Colchester based on all previous years so we're not hopeful.
did your ds sit the test on monday? Have you went through 2020 entry English past paper?
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

Please can we not go into which days people took each paper. There are 2 or 3 threads about that already.
MrsBeardsley

Post by MrsBeardsley »

failingtopass wrote:About 7-8 LESS in maths.

May be 2-3 MORE in English

Maths was their strongest subject.
Similar - a few less in maths, a few more in English. Maths had been by far their strongest subject but ended up pulling in equal marks.

They never really got on with the prescriptive ‘Describe this thing/Explain that thing’ type CW questions and hadn’t been coached to death, so very possibly benefitted from the freer nature of the Monday sitting.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now