Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:07 pm 

My DC sat their 11+ on the Monday sitting. They achieved a surprisingly low score for English and very surprisingly didn't pass.

After discussions on here and with other parents, it seems the Saturday children sat the old style paper with short 1/2/3 mark questions, multiple choice questions etc. Monday's paper was apparently similar to the 2020 paper with longer 5/6 mark questions, more inference, think of your own synonyms, no multiple choice etc and more in the style of an independent school paper.

The marking scheme also appears to be different with marks for SPAG on Monday had no marks awarded for SPAG on Saturday - not comparable.

I can't help feeling that this is very unfair as DC didnt see the new style, 2020 paper. I'd very much like to hear feedback from other parents as to whether, or not, they feel the same and did any of their DC have a similar result. Any feedback about the different days would be welcome as I'm trying to decide whether or not to take this further.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:15 pm 

Please refer to other discussion on this

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61316&start=120

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 pm 

bythesea wrote:
My DC sat their 11+ on the Monday sitting. They achieved a surprisingly low score for English and very surprisingly didn't pass.

After discussions on here and with other parents, it seems the Saturday children sat the old style paper with short 1/2/3 mark questions, multiple choice questions etc. Monday's paper was apparently similar to the 2020 paper with longer 5/6 mark questions, more inference, think of your own synonyms, no multiple choice etc and more in the style of an independent school paper.

The marking scheme also appears to be different with marks for SPAG on Monday had no marks awarded for SPAG on Saturday - not comparable.

I can't help feeling that this is very unfair as DC didnt see the new style, 2020 paper. I'd very much like to hear feedback from other parents as to whether, or not, they feel the same and did any of their DC have a similar result. Any feedback about the different days would be welcome as I'm trying to decide whether or not to take this further.
bythesea wrote:

No one can be sure of the marking scheme and say whether SPAG marks were awarded by CSSE on Saturday/Monday or both days. For the long answers - generally marks are given for SPAG. We don't know if CSSE did this or not. In old stye CSSE papers, SPAG is used in the marking for most questions other than Multiple choice.

I am sure other parents will share their views and advise you further. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:56 pm 

My son Sat the paper on Saturday and said there was only a 1 multiple choice question worth a few marks and he had to write his own synonyms too. Did they sit different papers on the Saturday too rather than all the same?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:11 am 

JP2010 wrote:
My son Sat the paper on Saturday and said there was only a 1 multiple choice question worth a few marks and he had to write his own synonyms too. Did they sit different papers on the Saturday too rather than all the same?

Mine was the same day and said the same about the synonyms ( second sitting)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:27 pm 

just pinning my post from another topic similar to this topic concern.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61316&start=140#p751857