CSSE 2021 entry - Different sittings discussion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bythesea

CSSE 2021 entry - Different sittings discussion

Post by bythesea »

My DC sat their 11+ on the Monday sitting. They achieved a surprisingly low score for English and very surprisingly didn't pass.

After discussions on here and with other parents, it seems the Saturday children sat the old style paper with short 1/2/3 mark questions, multiple choice questions etc. Monday's paper was apparently similar to the 2020 paper with longer 5/6 mark questions, more inference, think of your own synonyms, no multiple choice etc and more in the style of an independent school paper.

The marking scheme also appears to be different with marks for SPAG on Monday had no marks awarded for SPAG on Saturday - not comparable.

I can't help feeling that this is very unfair as DC didnt see the new style, 2020 paper. I'd very much like to hear feedback from other parents as to whether, or not, they feel the same and did any of their DC have a similar result. Any feedback about the different days would be welcome as I'm trying to decide whether or not to take this further.
Famkris

Re: CSSE 2021 entry - Different sittings discussion

Post by Famkris »

Please refer to other discussion on this

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pure76

Post by pure76 »

bythesea wrote:My DC sat their 11+ on the Monday sitting. They achieved a surprisingly low score for English and very surprisingly didn't pass.

After discussions on here and with other parents, it seems the Saturday children sat the old style paper with short 1/2/3 mark questions, multiple choice questions etc. Monday's paper was apparently similar to the 2020 paper with longer 5/6 mark questions, more inference, think of your own synonyms, no multiple choice etc and more in the style of an independent school paper.

The marking scheme also appears to be different with marks for SPAG on Monday had no marks awarded for SPAG on Saturday - not comparable.

I can't help feeling that this is very unfair as DC didnt see the new style, 2020 paper. I'd very much like to hear feedback from other parents as to whether, or not, they feel the same and did any of their DC have a similar result. Any feedback about the different days would be welcome as I'm trying to decide whether or not to take this further.
bythesea wrote:My DC sat their 11+ on the Monday sitting. They achieved a surprisingly low score for English and very surprisingly didn't pass.

No one can be sure of the marking scheme and say whether SPAG marks were awarded by CSSE on Saturday/Monday or both days. For the long answers - generally marks are given for SPAG. We don't know if CSSE did this or not. In old stye CSSE papers, SPAG is used in the marking for most questions other than Multiple choice.

I am sure other parents will share their views and advise you further. Good luck!
JP2010

Post by JP2010 »

My son Sat the paper on Saturday and said there was only a 1 multiple choice question worth a few marks and he had to write his own synonyms too. Did they sit different papers on the Saturday too rather than all the same?
Saffery13

Post by Saffery13 »

JP2010 wrote:My son Sat the paper on Saturday and said there was only a 1 multiple choice question worth a few marks and he had to write his own synonyms too. Did they sit different papers on the Saturday too rather than all the same?
Mine was the same day and said the same about the synonyms ( second sitting)
hkdad

Post by hkdad »

just pinning my post from another topic similar to this topic concern.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 40#p751857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrsBeardsley

Post by MrsBeardsley »

Seeing as there was so much heated debate around this at the time of the tests, I thought I'd have a quick look at the results per sitting now that the standardised scores have been published:

The average standardised score for the Sat 7th Nov sitting was 313.5 (2,705 kids)

The average standardised score for the Mon 9th Nov sitting was 297.4 (1,988 kids)

The average standardised score for the later Mon 23rd Nov sitting was 289.8 (296 kids)

I can understand there being reasons for those sitting the late session scoring lower. There may have been continuing health issues following their deferral, they may have been mentally impacted by having to stay focused for another 2 weeks. The much lower sample size may also go towards explaining a variance.

But I cannot see any reason why there would be such a wide variation in scores for the kids sitting over that same weekend, other than a difference in the difficulty of the papers....

:shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now