2020 Score query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
EssexMum2019

2020 Score query

Post by EssexMum2019 »

Hi Sep 2020 cohort, when you received your standardised scores for your children who sat their exams in Sept 2019 did you also receive the raw scores as well? We are sitting the exam this weekend but we did the CSSE 2020 paper as a mock and wow that English paper was tricky! We got an overall percentage of 77%. Is anyone able to work out what kind of Standardised Score that would have been in your cohort?

I guess what I am asking is, did anyone else in this group get a percentage of 77% (give or take a few percent either way) and what standardised score did this give you in the end?
JP2010

Re: 2020 Entry Allocation Scores & Collated Cutoffs

Post by JP2010 »

Hello EssexMum2019,
Was the format of the 2020 paper different to previous years or just a difficult text?

My son is also sitting this weekend, very nervous!
EssexMum2019

Post by EssexMum2019 »

JP2010 wrote:Hello EssexMum2019,
Was the format of the 2020 paper different to previous years or just a difficult text?

My son is also sitting this weekend, very nervous!
Hi JP2010, good luck to you and your son this weekend!

The English paper last year was quite a difficult text but still a similar format to previous years.
JP2010

Post by JP2010 »

Fingers crossed it won’t be so tricky this year!

I’m not sure exactly how accurate it is but I found this website for predicting standardised scores:

https://kidsmartapp.co.uk/essex-11-plus-pass-mark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

77% seems like a great score!

Good luck for Sat, I’m glad it’s nearly over!
EssexMum2019

Post by EssexMum2019 »

JP2010 wrote:Fingers crossed it won’t be so tricky this year!

I’m not sure exactly how accurate it is but I found this website for predicting standardised scores:

https://kidsmartapp.co.uk/essex-11-plus-pass-mark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

77% seems like a great score!

Good luck for Sat, I’m glad it’s nearly over!
Thanks so much JP2010 for that website link, a very interesting predictor there and it gives me a clearer indication of how we would have fared last year (although I totally understand that each year will differ from one year to the next). As this is our very first year in the 11+ arena (younger sibling will also have the pleasure in a few years time!) I had absolutely no idea what kind of marks we needed to aim for apart from the obvious "Do the best that you can..." which is still far too open-ended because there will always be room for improvement, and obviously everyone else's children will also be doing the best that they can too.

In less than a week's time JP2010 we will be able to breath a huge sigh of relief, although us parents will still have to endure the wait for the results but at least our DC can finally draw a line under this exam by Saturday afternoon and get some well deserved rest and playtime! Looking forward to seeing you on the other side JP2010!
failingtopass

Post by failingtopass »

Hi,

On results day, you get:

RAW SCORES FOR EACH PAPER:
STANDARDISED SCORE AND CALCULATION METHOD:
RED/GREEN SHEET:

Last year 2020 was a complicated year. No one really talks about it BUT i think there was a mess up at LA level. It seems that they may have allocated too many "pupil premium places" and as such the initial results that were coming through for OOC seemed that to get to WHSB OOC you needed to get a result higher than that of KEGS OOC. I recall scores of 375+ was not offered places for WHSB.

Later on it was rectified. I believe the lowest score to get into WHSB OOC was about 344.

Overall score of 77% is very good.

We just did the exam on Saturday - as per forum etiquette i don't think we are allowed to discuss anything until its over, there is another sitting on Monday and one near the end of the month.

I suspect there will be at least 3 sets of papers to mark!

Results day i was told is the 2nd of December - But someone also said the 3rd.

Results come through the post on that day BUT i recall in 2018 it appeared at 6am in the morning on the day.

The wait for the results are so nerve wracking!
Last edited by failingtopass on Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The CSSE doesn't allocate school places, this is done by the applicant's home LA, looking at the preferences expressed on the CAF with regard to the child's ranking against each school's admissions criteria. The actual ranking of applicants may be done by the individual school, or by the school's maintaining LA, where the school is either an LA school (this doesn't apply to any of the CSSE schools) or the school has bought into the 'full service' from the maintaining LA wrt admissions. As far as I am aware, the school would still get the final list to check in advance of allocation day, though.

Sad to say, as it is my own LA, it appears to have been a problem with the ranking somewhere in the local (Southend) system which caused the initial problems with some of our grammar school allocations.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JP2010

Post by JP2010 »

It's so nerve wracking failingtopass! It is going to be a LONG 3 weeks!
JP2010

Post by JP2010 »

It's so nerve wracking failingtopass! It is going to be a LONG 3 weeks!
failingtopass

Post by failingtopass »

Yes.. very long 3 weeks!

When i called CSSE they were not clear on results day. I think what i gleaned was it'll be posted out on the second od December for it to arrive in the mail on the 3rd or have access online on the 3rd. However, she could not give any commitments and said that's what they are expecting.. but could change.