CSSE 2021 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

caringdaddy

CSSE 2021 entry

Post by caringdaddy »

Dear forum members

For those parents and children who wrote their CSSE exam on 7/11/2020 & 9/11/2020, its an anxious wait for the results!

We were informed by some children (they discuss the paper in school) that most (?? all) the maths questions in the Monday paper were the same as on Saturday.

If this is true, there is a big question mark on the fairness of this exam. I am naturally a worried and anxious parent so wanted to check if this is normal?

There is no further regular sitting of this exam hence posting this message.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
failingtopass

Re: CSSE 2021 entry

Post by failingtopass »

They usually have 2 papers. It may be they have 3 papers this time for the late sitting.

This is why most parents don't discuss how hard or easy it was as this may affect their child's chances as not all the children have sat theirs.

I had the same worries 2 years ago.. so check out one of the threads. This is a common anxiety and appears every year.

One would assume even of the Saturday paper was the same as the Monday paper, the children sitting Saturday would not have had time to discuss the questions in detail. One would also assume given parents would have invested over 2 years in this, they would have told their children not to speak to their friends over the weekend or share info.
caringdaddy

Post by caringdaddy »

I know this is just my anxiety but also admit this does not sound fair on pulips who appeared on the morning of 7/11/2020 (no fault of pupils having to sit later dates)

Irrespective of whether children discuss or not, the papers on 2 different dates should have been different to ensure transparency.

If the CSSE are so worried about age standardisation and equality, they must also ensure fairness across all the sittings.

Is there any justification for not having different papers other than to rely on children not discussing?
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

The papers follow a fairly standard distribution of types of question, doesn't mean the answers were the same.

Parents work with the assumption that there are two different papers, so the likelihood that a parent knew the two papers were identical, got their child to remember questions and were able to pass it on to other parents and children with enough time for the child to remember in time for the exam seems extremely far fetched and unlikely. This is 10/11 year olds after all, in a highly stressful examination.

Logically the CSSE would be likely to ensure that there are two different papers, because a scandal or hint of one would destroy their reputation. It is a small amount of extra effort in the grand scheme of things. There are enough staff involved in running sessions, marking papers and tabulating results that it would be inconceivable that it wouldn't be found out at some stage.

As the previous poster said, this tends to come up every year. You can challenge after the results come out, but even if it is true it would affect a vanishingly tiny number of results and places, perhaps one or two.

This is a uniquely stressful process, awful in places and these next few weeks are some of the worst while we wait for results. I really hope that your child gets the results that you want.
JordanC

Post by JordanC »

How did your DC feel they got on - or are we not allowed to discuss?
caringdaddy

Post by caringdaddy »

I suppose you are right colcmum and it could be that the papers sounded similar but might actually have been different.

However it doesn't take long in this day and age for an important gossip to spread like a wildfire from one part of the county to another (whatsapp groups, facebook, tuition syndicates etc) and the gap between the first and the subsequent sitting was 48 hours! Even if the pattern of the math's exam was similar, it gives the second group a slight advantage as revising those key areas would definitely yield a higher score than worrying about the whole curriculum don't you think?

I also slightly disagree that only a couple of pupils would actually benefit as theoretically every child appearing after Day 1 could have that advantage.

I don't plan to challenge anything as I believe in destiny and luck and hopefully this wouldn't affect my DC.

I almost 100% agree with you that the assessment process needs to be more robust (no need of names on papers, other forms of ID more appropriate) and different papers which could be standardised later (CEM more robust than CSSE)

I was just shocked to learn this fact which could potentially be exploited in future.

@JordanC we can't discuss the content of papers as there is another sitting on 23rd for pupils affected by COVID but yes my DC was overall satisfied, stated Maths was a little tricky, English not as bad as he thought. What about your DC?
JordanC

Post by JordanC »

She had 'starred' 5 harder maths Qs and didn't get time to go back & do them - felt maths was tougher than practice papers & got a bit upset after exam, think she might have focused on Qs she didn't get rather than those she did. English seemed to go well - hopefully that will even things out!
caringdaddy

Post by caringdaddy »

Hi Jordan
Just to reassure you most pupils found those edited by moderator difficult.
Even children who have attempted those haven't probably got them right.
You are right, English score would be higher this time.
Fingers crossed and all the best for your daughter.
Please bear in mind that any information about the test, including the types of questions may help late sitters & disadvantage your child
JordanC

Post by JordanC »

Thanks - all the best for you and DC too
Essexdaddy

Post by Essexdaddy »

Does anyone know when the CSSE results will be out?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now