Relocation to Chelmsford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kon

Relocation to Chelmsford

Post by Kon »

Hi we are planning to move closer to Chelmsford and are considering all options. Just came across a village called Hatfield Peverel which we never heard of. Does anyone know this place, what the residential area is like and if it is suitable for family? Many thanks.
sxMum

Re: Relocation to Chelmsford

Post by sxMum »

Hatty P is a large, mainly residential village, becoming larger with a couple of big housing developments just starting. It has a train station with a regular service to London so is popular with city workers wanting to live more rurally.
It's relatively crime free with a sense of community and a well regarded infants and junior school, St Andrews. The main road through has a few shops and tends to get a bit traffic choked with A12 access either end. There's a duck pond in the local park and there's an annual village fete.
If grammar schools aren't your thing, there's a good selection of schools with Sandon, Great Baddow and the Plume in Maldon.

So yes, it's a great choice for families if you like a suburban feel with train access to London and the countryside on your doorstep.
Kon

Post by Kon »

sxMum wrote:Hatty P is a large, mainly residential village, becoming larger with a couple of big housing developments just starting. It has a train station with a regular service to London so is popular with city workers wanting to live more rurally.
It's relatively crime free with a sense of community and a well regarded infants and junior school, St Andrews. The main road through has a few shops and tends to get a bit traffic choked with A12 access either end. There's a duck pond in the local park and there's an annual village fete.
If grammar schools aren't your thing, there's a good selection of schools with Sandon, Great Baddow and the Plume in Maldon.

So yes, it's a great choice for families if you like a suburban feel with train access to London and the countryside on your doorstep.
Thanks it’s very useful info. ds is commuting to KEGS at the moment and dd is going to CCHS this September hence we are moving to the area. Sounds like Hatty P is a good option. Thanks
H0pefuldad

Post by H0pefuldad »

Hatfield Peverel is a very safe, albeit sleepy village and there are far worse places to live in the area. However, if you were looking to relocate, I would certainly consider some of the suburbs within Chelmsford as they will offer good value for money, and also allow the children to be closer to friends and amenities. Think bike ride way!

From speaking to friends who live in HP, they claim it is very lacklustre for the children once they reach senior school age. Very little to keep them occupied locally and most of their friends live in Chelmsford or beyond. They are forever complaining about having to drive them backwards and forwards to friends houses, into town (Chelmsford), and to all their external clubs.

There is one main road through HP, which as others have said, can be extremely busy at times due A12 congestion and people taking shortcuts. You will also encounter a lot of traffic during peak times getting to and from HP during peak times. It can take 30+mins to travel to/from Chelmsford in my experience.
The train service runs approximately once every 30mins through Chelmsford to London.
It has a small parade of shops and a local coop to restock supplies. Failing that, Sainsbury’s is a 4-5 mile drive away.

I hope this helps and I wish you good luck in your search.
Kon

Post by Kon »

H0pefuldad wrote:Hatfield Peverel is a very safe, albeit sleepy village and there are far worse places to live in the area. However, if you were looking to relocate, I would certainly consider some of the suburbs within Chelmsford as they will offer good value for money, and also allow the children to be closer to friends and amenities. Think bike ride way!

From speaking to friends who live in HP, they claim it is very lacklustre for the children once they reach senior school age. Very little to keep them occupied locally and most of their friends live in Chelmsford or beyond. They are forever complaining about having to drive them backwards and forwards to friends houses, into town (Chelmsford), and to all their external clubs.

There is one main road through HP, which as others have said, can be extremely busy at times due A12 congestion and people taking shortcuts. You will also encounter a lot of traffic during peak times getting to and from HP during peak times. It can take 30+mins to travel to/from Chelmsford in my experience.
The train service runs approximately once every 30mins through Chelmsford to London.
It has a small parade of shops and a local coop to restock supplies. Failing that, Sainsbury’s is a 4-5 mile drive away.

I hope this helps and I wish you good luck in your search.
Very good and interesting points. We are weighing up this option as well as Chelmsford suburbs. Distance is definitely one issue with HP after all, the only reason we are relocating is to reduce the distance from the schools in the first place. Some of the houses we have seen which we were probably interested in taking to next steps have other issues, e.g. when we checked on the government website for flood risk they are either medium risk or high risk. We also quite like the Beaulieu and the Channels surrounding but the price. We are fully anticipating the search will last for a while still, and really appreciate all the useful info received here. Thanks