Which books for CSSE prep?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PipeDream

Which books for CSSE prep?

Post by PipeDream »

Hi all, quick question. Looking at the likes of Bond books, CPG etc. Should we select the GL or CEM if taking CSSE? Which is going to be best prep? (Or should I be looking at something else entirely?) Also, without wishing to sound daft, why do some of these book series go up to 12-13 for the 11+ ? Do you need to be beyond the 10-11 one or is that enough?
ontarget

Re: Which books for CSSE prep?

Post by ontarget »

I wouldn't bother with the GL and CEM books as they are not very similar to Essex CSSE. If you have to choose between those two, I would probably go for the GL rather than CEM bcause the GL English comprehension is longer than the CEM one.

Look at the https://csse.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site. They have some sample papers and you can also buy the last three years' papers. I would then google Essex CSSE papers as there are several companies that make papers for the Essex CSSE exams. They vary in quality, so look at samples and demos to see which ones you think are most suitable.
PipeDream

Post by PipeDream »

Thank you, I appreciate that.
MrsBeardsley

Post by MrsBeardsley »

My one piece of advice would be to make sure you have sight of the most recent past papers, not just the free ones the csse publish online. There has been a definite change in style in the last few years.

As galling as it is to fork out £45 or so, it’s a necessity.

Good luck to your child.
Shaggy74

Post by Shaggy74 »

There are different csse specific books available on Amazon and just by searching via google too
CM3_dad

Post by CM3_dad »

Strongly agree with the last few comments. Definitely buy the last few years of CSSE papers. This, coupled with the free ones CSSE give should give you an indicator of the style of questions that come up. GL/CEM are not very helpful. Try Independent school papers (free on internet). Some of it (but not all) are closer to csse style of questions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now