Csse spelling

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Frankiesmummy

Csse spelling

Post by Frankiesmummy »

Hello, this will be my first post in this forum. I just wondered if there is a maximum amount of marks you can lose for spelling mistakes in the CSSE test.
ToadMum

Re: Csse spelling

Post by ToadMum »

Frankiesmummy wrote:Hello, this will be my first post in this forum. I just wondered if there is a maximum amount of marks you can lose for spelling mistakes in the CSSE test.
https://csse.org.uk/examination/

Looking at the mark scheme for the 2018 entry English paper, marks were given / not given for SPaG in marking some questions (and presumably a continuous writing piece full of spelling mistakes would attract a lower mark out of the 15 available than an otherwise equivalent piece with perfect spelling).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
CM3_dad

Re: Csse spelling

Post by CM3_dad »

for the comprehension, some questions have a spag mark allocated to it. It is not explicitly specified in the question paper, but you will see it in the answer paper marking scheme. Generally, if it asks you answer in full sentences, or complete sentences, there is a spag mark for that question. This includes spelling. This is the mark that you will lose for misspellings. For the continuous writing, if memory serves me well, there are 3 marks out of 15 for spag. So you'll lose a maximum of 3 marks. The marking scheme for continuous writing is on the csse sit. Please download this and analyse it! It will guide you as to how to write.