Need help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sarami

Need help

Post by Sarami »

Hi All,

I require help. My son is in year 5 and we live in Bishop Strotford. He is preparing for Grammar exam. He is preparing to appear for Grammar schools In Kent and Chelmsford. Chelmsford is the top of our list at present, however, I’m trying to figure out (in case he gets into grammar school) how he will travel everyday. Hubby and myself both work, we have a little one who goes to primary school too. Is there any school bus that goes to King Edward Grammar? I’m finding it very surprising that all other places/regions have coaches but Bishop Strotford doesn’t seem to have any school bus or coaches going to any grammar school. Please correct me if I’m wrong
Thankyou
practisehard

Re: Need help

Post by practisehard »

Is it the Bishop’s Strotford in East Hertfordshire? Not sure if it is a commutable distance for a little kid :? more than 20 mile. The only coach I know come to Chelmsford from Stansted airport is X10.
Sarami

Post by Sarami »

Yes that’s right in hertfordshire. So does that mean anyone who live in these areas can’t send their children to grammar school
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sarami wrote:Yes that’s right in hertfordshire. So does that mean anyone who live in these areas can’t send their children to grammar school
they can do but they might have quite a struggle getting them there and back 5 days a week in all weathers for 7 years.
sxMum

Post by sxMum »

hermanmunster wrote:
Sarami wrote:Yes that’s right in hertfordshire. So does that mean anyone who live in these areas can’t send their children to grammar school
they can do but they might have quite a struggle getting them there and back 5 days a week in all weathers for 7 years.
I can't begin to imagine how they'd get to Kent and back each day!

There's a website here that may help with bus services to KEGS: https://moovitapp.com/index/en-gb/publi ... 25961-2122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And there's a list of grammar school locations here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... hools-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarami

Post by Sarami »

What are the views of those who live in Bishop Strotford with regards to schools in this area? We are fairly new here
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Since you are considering a move to Kent anyway (unless you have the use of a helicopter, a place at any school in Kent would involve moving from Bishops Stortford, should your DS get in - and presumably you have researched his actual chance of this, according to each grammar school's admissions policy?), could you not move sooner, to be in the priority admissions area either for KEGS or for the Kent grammar that you are most interested in?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I can't begin to imagine how they'd get to Kent and back each day!
The Thames crossing is a nightmare. It recently took me over half an hour to do the last 2 miles before Dartford Tunnel. It has taken a lot longer.

What part of Kent were you thinking of?
Even Dartford is around an hour away. What about your child’s classmates and after school activities?

Edited to add: What if your child is taken ill and you have to collect them?
PipeDream

Post by PipeDream »

Bishops Stortford is an area with many good school, I'm not sure why you'd want to put yourself through the crazy commute to Chelmsford, much less Kent unless you are thinking of moving that way. Lots of excellent schools in Herts area, look at ones with aptitude tests to open more doors to more good schools. Eg Hockerill . On the bus/train thought I can't imagine there's much sensible transport between Stortford and Chelmsford, not without several changes and a super early start I suspect.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Hi

We live in central Chelmsford and this term my daughter ( who is doing a PGCE ) has a placement at Herts and Essex school in Bishops Stortford. She is living at home and currently leaves at 6.40, gets the airport bus to Stansted and then a bus into Bishop's Stortford to arrive in time for the start of school.
Because of the timings of the various buses she is rarely home before 5.30, school finishes at 3 pm.
She is a fit 24 year old and currently only doing this journey twice a week but I can honestly say she is absolutely exhausted by the travel. In a million years I would not consider subjecting a child to this journey. The cost is pretty eye watering as well.

( Next term she will be at CRGS so I have already passed on Toadmum’s very useful top travel tips on the journey from home to Colchester )