Need help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Need help

Post by Daogroupie »

You can't really be seriously considering sending your son to a grammar school in Kent from where you currently live.
You state you are fairly new in the area. If grammar school was so essential to you why did you chose to live somewhere where there is no grammar school?
If he is already in Y5 he will already have sat all the grammar schools by this time next year, so surely you must have already been thinking about secondary school.
Hockerill in your town is an excellent school. Would that be your first choice?
DG
MuffinCat1

Post by MuffinCat1 »

Kent is surely out of the question, unless you move. I don't know much about Kent grammars but I do know that Bishop's Stortford has excellent state schools.

I think some do commute to KEGS and it is possible, but it's a punishingly long one when you have such great schools on your doorstep. People would gnaw off their own hand to live in Stortford for the schools choices! I worked in a Stortford school, you'll know it- single sex and not H&E-
It's very grammar-like, as I have also worked in grammars.

It's an absolutely excellent school and I'd jump at the chance to send a son there, if I had one!
Hersetta

Post by Hersetta »

You can’t possibly be serious about sending them to a Kent school whilst living in Stortford as they are 60 miles away!

Geographically, Chelmsford isn’t too bad however there are no school buses or direct public transport between the two locations (nearest bus goes from the airport).

As you are new to the area, I can’t believe you would move to an area and not investigate the schools as education is obviously important to you. Bishops stortford has some of the best non selective schools in the country (in 2018 when we were looking, it had 3 of the top 10 non selectives in the country). People who live here don’t need to send our children such large distances when we have great schools in the town and which people from the surrounding area would give their eye teeth to get a place at.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now