Essex scores October 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CM3_dad

Re: Essex scores October 2021

Post by CM3_dad »

It is as mitasol said. If you want to know whether the exam was easier or not, you need to look at the average score when the stats come out. Compare that with the previous years. If its easier, its easier for everyone, so everyone scores slightly higher. The standardised scores are engineered to fit the scores into the gaussian distribution or bell curve. The age adjustment has been similar in the last 3 years (2018-), between 10 and 12. Expect the lowest score that gets in per school in to be similar to the last few years since age standardisation was used (2018-). Maybe 1 or 2 mark fluctuation. Do not be comparing your marks to earlier than that.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

CM3_dad wrote:....Expect the lowest score that gets in per school in to be similar to the last few years......
Assuming that number of candidates/applicants remains fairly unchanged.
CM3_dad

Post by CM3_dad »

there havent been such significant changes to the number of applicants year on year to make a a significant change to the lowest entrance mark from the previous year.
mrizshah27

Post by mrizshah27 »

CSSE score 326.97
January born boy
Does anyone know if this is good enough for SOuthend or Westcliffe? OOC
Singan

Post by Singan »

KittyGHG wrote:
Singan wrote:My DS scored 338.22
IC
Wondering the chances of getting into KEGS?

Also, has CSSE stopped sending colour codes? That used to be helpful. :shock:

This was on the KEGS website - FAQ section:

On 1st March 2021, out of all the candidates offered a place for September 2021, the lowest score obtained by an 'in area' applicant, who was neither in receipt of the Pupil Premium payment nor classified as a looked after child, was 345.6.

On 1st March 2021, out of all the candidates offered a place for September 2021, the lowest score obtained by an 'out of area' applicant, who was neither in receipt of the Pupil Premium payment nor classified as a looked after child, was 375.3.

For the students starting Year 7 at KEGS in September 2021, the lowest score obtained by an 'in area' applicant, who was neither in receipt of the Pupil Premium payment nor classified as a looked after child, was 345 (rounded to nearest whole number).

For the students starting Year 7 at KEGS in September 2021, the lowest score obtained by an 'out of area' applicant, who was neither in receipt of the Pupil Premium payment nor classified as a looked after child, was 375 (rounded to nearest whole number).

Thanks for your reply. With not much visibility of the number of children who scored between 340 and 360, the above marks (338.22) cause a worry, should take a big risk and wait or move into catchment! Wondering what would be the cut off score? Would it go low or remains same or higher?

As it seems to be the Standardised scores this year is heavily decided by English marks, and as I observed English has affected many (??) children, is it what the forum thinks too?

Please if parents post more scores, probably, it would help the border line children! :(
EllaB786

Post by EllaB786 »

I know already of a few (myself included) children who have obtained high enough results to almost undoubtedly get into CRGS who are not even going to put it down as an option now that the school is rated INADEQUATE, following the reports of sexism, discrimination, poor leadership and "not preparing the children for life in the modern world".

So the scores may well run lower, if people are looking beyond the purely academic status of the school and thinking about whether they actually want their children to attend a school that has failed so spectacularly in recent years. That culture doesn't change quickly. That the head didn't resign, and that they have barely responded to the reports of Ofsted stripping of their outstanding status speaks volumes.

Also, as a person who went to the grammar school here in Colchester, I would say don't stress if you don't get in. It didn't guarantee all of my cohort incredible lives, and more than state school condemned my friends to lives of poverty. If your kid is bright, motivated and engaged with learning and life, they will do well.
sp_dad

Post by sp_dad »

DS result in CSSE:
English: 27/60
Math: 56/60
Total: 333.94
June born.

Quite disappointed with English results, but we knew it was the weakest point. All mocks had higher scores for English though..
DS said Math was easier this year than the 2021's he did in the mock.
We're OOC for all schools, so no idea if this will be good enough for any.
Will put SHSB into CAF since it has the lowest passing mark, but the chances seem pretty slim
woodmf28

Post by woodmf28 »

i think english always have a more impact on standardised sore than Math.
RB3boys

Post by RB3boys »

CM3_dad wrote:there havent been such significant changes to the number of applicants year on year to make a a significant change to the lowest entrance mark from the previous year.
It is worth noting that last year the Colchester County High School for Girls added an additinal class to yr 7 entry, so the lowest score than was successful was quite a bit lower than in previous years.
Elliec1983

Post by Elliec1983 »

My son, September born
IC for KEGS

Raw scores:
42/60 English
46/60 Maths

Standardised 349.9

Historically this would gain him a place and I feel the standardised scores are low this year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now