CCHS vs CCHSG for 2022 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSF

CCHS vs CCHSG for 2022 entry

Post by MSF »

My Daughter is eligible to apply for Chelmsford (CCHS) and Colchester (CCHSG) for 2022 entry. CCHS is about 15-20 mins train/walk journey. CCHSG is about 30-40 min Coach journey. Transport aside please shed some light of benefits and cons of these two schools. We have not been able to see these schools due to Covid. I believe they both offer similar GCSE curriculum. CCHSG is higher up the ranking table nationally to CCHS however I am unable to find beyond this statement to what the break down is. Any thoughts or views or discussion points is greatly appreciated. I am sure I am not alone with this argument. We all want the best for our kids.

My daughter as a person highly academic and has a good extra curricular activity interest in art/drama/swimming/tennis/gymnastic and she wish to be engaged in leadership roles - prefect/councillors.

Thanx.
PipeDream

Re: CCHS vs CCHSG for 2022 entry

Post by PipeDream »

I wouldn't put too much on the rankings my feeling is (and I may be wrong), that given CCHS has a catchment area, CCHSG will be taking a larger percentage of the highest ranked girls, being super selective, this is likely to feed into end results. End of the day though both schools are very high performing so this is not really the issue. We're looking at the same choice and went through the websites with a fine tooth comb, looking at clubs, subject provision, even which uniform my daughter preferred (!) to give us a flavour of where she will be happiest. We are pretty equidistant for both schools but if we were not then distance would play a factor as in my personal opinion that can really make a difference to a child's quality of life.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you are still living where you were when I commented on a previous post re travel to the two schools, I would go for CCHS, unless there were a very specific reason not to go there. Especially if your transport choice for CCHSG would be a single, inflexible private coach as opposed to public transport. How will you get your DD to / from school if her favourite extracurricular activity includes a before or after school session?
Last edited by ToadMum on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MSF

Post by MSF »

Thank you both. Toadmum we moved so both options are available. Coach for Colchester. Door to door. And public transport to chelsmford. We actually went to see Colchester. Most importantly the young lady in discussion has chosen to go to Colchester. (10min extra commute) and therefore as she has put in the hard work for the schools we have let her choose the order of the list. I think both are great schools. Thanx for all the advice and support.
verybusybee

Post by verybusybee »

If you check both GCSE & A level results 2022 from respective websites, it is questionable if CCHSG sustains a relatively higher rank in terms of academic achievements this year.

CCHSG
There is just a high level mention for GCSE results (94% @ 7+ and 52% @ 9). In contrast, for A level silent on figures or statistics which everyone is expecting.

CCHS
Virtually you can't get any better breakdown elsewhere, as a complete subject vs. score table is given for each.
GCSE: 95.45% @ 7+ and 57.74% @ 9
A level: 86.35% @ A*-B and 71.32% @ A*-A

Going back to year 2021, with reference to school league table @ locrating which is precisely academic performance based, ranking for CCHSG is slightly higher for GCSE results. However, the situation is reversed for A level results (i e. CCHS is better).

Agree that parents should always look for more details when comparing performance for different schools.