Leaver Destinations Colchester County High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rao

Leaver Destinations Colchester County High School

Post by Rao »

While comparing schools to deciding our preference order for CAF, I also look at Leaver's destination of the schools. While looking at Colchester County High School , I can't find much information on website other than the extract below in school guide:

"Recent student destination have included:
University for the Creative Arts to read Fashion design; RADA to study Technical theatre; Art foundation courses; Internship at Bank of England; Music conservatoire ; University of London to read Journalism; University of East Anglia to read Nursing."

I was wondering if school is less focussed in Science careers and also on Oxbridge? Any info / experience will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rao
hermanmunster

Re: Leaver Destinations Colchester County High School

Post by hermanmunster »

Perhaps just trying to demonstrate that there is more to life than Oxbridge and science degrees and that they support whatever pupils are interested in
Rao

Post by Rao »

hermanmunster wrote:Perhaps just trying to demonstrate that there is more to life than Oxbridge and science degrees and that they support whatever pupils are interested in
Thanks for your response. That is my point. I felt more inclination to Art subjects instead of a balance for all streams. So, I was wondering if a child is interested in Science subjects then how is the support. I believe children are exploring their interests at Secondary school be it Arts or Science or any other stream. I just want to ensure that whatever they choose to pursue, there will be adequate support.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I would just point out that year 12 is a separate formal point of entry into state schools - the cohort of girls leaving at the end of year 13 is not the same as the cohort that entered at year 7.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
drvramachandran

Post by drvramachandran »

My daughter is in Colchester county high school for girls.
She is keen to study STEM subjects, and the school is very supportive.
For example many girls are selected for medicine each year.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Rao wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Perhaps just trying to demonstrate that there is more to life than Oxbridge and science degrees and that they support whatever pupils are interested in
Thanks for your response. That is my point. I felt more inclination to Art subjects instead of a balance for all streams. So, I was wondering if a child is interested in Science subjects then how is the support. I believe children are exploring their interests at Secondary school be it Arts or Science or any other stream. I just want to ensure that whatever they choose to pursue, there will be adequate support.
All the Grammar schools in Essex are pretty good at supporting whatever subjects the students are interested in pursuing at the tertiary level (ie. University/College). Most of them will offer triple sciences, computer science and maths at GCSE. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at A level as well. If your DC is interested in STEM subjects check out on the internet for UKMT Maths Challenges, Cambridge Chemistry challenge C3L6, Physics Challenges/Olympiad, UK Chemistry Olympiad, Arkwright Engineering Scholarship all of which are interesting challenges outside school work. Talk to the Head of Department or subject teachers during open day might be informative.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now