Selection of primary school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sonirules

Selection of primary school

Post by Sonirules »

Dear Parents who are familiar with govt funded and independent schools in Chelmsford. Please can you help me decide which are the once that has very good record of getting into grammar school?
1. Newland spring
2. Heathcote prep
3. Elm green prep
4. St cedd
5. Beehive.

I am seeking advise to decide on the best route. Any experiences or advise will be much appreciated.

Regards
Soni
ToadMum

Re: Selection of primary school

Post by ToadMum »

Whereabouts in Chelmsford are you? Newlands Spring and Beehive Lane are miles apart.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sonirules

Post by Sonirules »

I am near Broomfield. So patching hall is nearest is dark.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is Patching Hall a private school? There are no state primaries by that name.

Newlands Spring is an academy, but it uses the same admissions criteria as Beehive Lane, which is a Community school, that is:

1. LAC / PLAC
2. Siblings
3. Address within Priority Admissions Area (use the search tool on the ECC website to check which school's PAA your home address is in).
4. Remaining applicants

If you are applying outside the main round (Reception
Entry), however, the criteria are only used to rank the waiting list / CI list if a place in a full year group becomes available. If you apply and there is a place already available, you get it, but if there is no place available at the time of applying, all you can do is go on the waiting list / continuing interest list for the school. Or appeal, of course, but there is no guarantee of success at appeal and if it's for a refusal based on Infant Class Size legislation, more or less a guarantee of failure at appeal.

As to which, if any, of the schools you listed has a particular 'track record' when it comes to numbers gaining places at grammar schools, no idea, I'm afraid. You could try a Freedom of Information request of either the primary schools as to their leavers' destinations (the private schools would normally boast about this on their websites, though, I think?), or of the grammar schools you are interested in, as to where their year 7s come from.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sonirules

Post by Sonirules »

Thanks. Patching hall lane I mean.

I am aware of the admission criteria, but I was trying to understand the standard of reaching in the following schools. I am also keen to understand the standard of reaching and performance in Beehive and Newland spring primary school
H0pefuldad

Post by H0pefuldad »

As far as independents in Chelmsford area, you also have; Widford Lodge, New Hall and St Anne’s

You may find contacting the schools directly will help you with the statistics regarding grammar school success. For reference St Anne’s regularly get about 50% of their 20 year 6 students into a local grammar. They have also been the top ranked independent in Essex for the last few years according to the Times newspaper.

I can’t comment on the state schools you mention, but living in patching hall lane, you may also like to consider Perryfields in Springfield, Cathedral school on Victoria Road and for a top performing school, Our lady immaculate on New London Road.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Bear in mind that most schools, state certainly and often private too do not support grammar school entry. State schools are not permitted to teach to the test and many private schools that have through sections to senior also rarely support entrance requirements of grammars. The key element is parental input rather than primary school attended.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I completely agree with PettswoodFiona. Having taught in both state and private schools in this area, parental input and drive is the key for Grammar school success rather than school attended. All the schools you mention would be fine, it is personal preference and what works best for your family logistically/financially.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now