CRGS - visits

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SpellingB

Post by SpellingB »

KB

Post by KB »

Haven't heard anything about pre-u as yet. Many sixth-formers do already take higher level papers in their main subject. School has very good reputation with Universities - imagine because teaching goes beyond bounds of A level syallbus. My guess would be that they would 'wait & see' but am sure Mr Livingstone (exams officer) would be able to advise on that as well if you are speaking to him about Year 9 entry.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks again. KB can you ask your son how the 4 new Year 9's got on when they started later than the rest or ask him to ask them? That's my only concern really, but I will keep my son in his current school until Year 9 because they have invested financially in him and it does leave our options open, plus he would be very upset if I moved him two years early as he has never been happier.:)
KB

Post by KB »

Remember discussing this with him at the time - can't remember why though!
Because the forms are divided up (from 3 to 4 I think) there is a shuffling of friendship groups so makes it easier to fit in.
Am assuming your son is currently at prep school so will be used to a traditional school but expect would find it different from fee paying sector (including boys from wider variety of backgrounds maybe?)
During year 7 there was alot of focus on 'training' the boys - organisational skills, producing homework to acceptable standard, revision skills, standards of behaviour in & out of classroom ....
I guess your son would need to make more effort to fit in at CRGS whereas going to a school with a full year intake there would be much more provision for settling in.
Maybe need to consider how adaptable your son is?
The downside of waiting till year 9 to move is the tiny number of places available - obviously there are also fewer applicants but although I am guessing your son is very able it might be be a risky strategy.
If you moved him at 11plus & you weren't satisfied with the school, could you still move him to one of the Independents at 13?
Think summer concert is July 10th. There's a mini-triathalon sooner I think but only pool & games field (which is away from school buildings) would be open I guess.
Glad I'm not having to make the choice :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks KB, I'm going to get in touch with Livingstone re Year9 entry and fitting in. :)
KB

Post by KB »

Good plan :)
Will speak to my son again re year 9 entrants fitting in.
Might take you a while to get hold of Mr Livingstone as a bit of a busy time of year for him!
Good luck with your deliberations.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks - will keep you posted! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now