crgs - applying

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lulu

Post by Lulu »

As you can never know what will happen on the day, we never really considered taking up our DD's place until it was offered. If you'd have asked me in the lead up to the 11+, I'd probably have said she was taking it "for the experience." :D

Lulu
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But Tipsy want to get a place for Y7 but not use it until Y9 - I was just warning that I do not think that is allowed. Places lapse if they are not taken up.
KB

Post by KB »

There is no way that CRGS would defer entry from11+ to 13+. If you don't accept the place by the deadline then it will be given to the next boy on the order of merit.
It is quite common for boys to turn down a place once offered because they have been offered a prefered school.
The only thing that would be unfair would be to accept a place & then turn it down much later in the year once all the normal shuffling has gone on in the couple weeks after allocations day.
I'm sure this isn't what Tipsy is intending to do.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

There's no way I'm intending to do this. I just want to see if he'll pass without tutoring and if we don't want the place then we won't accept it. I will let him sit it but I wonder if I'm not doing myself any favours as it will be one more decision to think about should he be offered! :roll:
KB

Post by KB »

I think you are right Tipsy that you need to think about which are your preferred options as however bright your son is it is going to take its toll on him if he is sitting a continuous round of tests and interviews.

Lots of children take more than one test to keep options open & it is sometimes difficult to rank your preferences before the results are known but as you say, you are in danger of making life stressful for yourself & your son if you don't try to work out broadly what kind of education you want for your sons & thereby reduce your apparent options!

Choice is great but too much coice can be a bit overwhelming :)
I am so pleased that our decision making is over for a year or so :)

Re the CRGS test - if you let him do the practice tests under timed conditions it will give you a pretty good idea of how he is doing. We get back to the old debate about how good the marks need to be to get a place but as a very rough guide (from my experience with three of my own and various friends) if he's getting 90% on VR & 85% on maths & english he should be absolutely fine -( the marks in the real thing usually drop quite a bit & children do get places with much lower marks)

Good luck with your decisions :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think the process will only be stressful for me if he passes. :lol: I never worry or pressurize him about exams and my sons absolutely loves them. He honestly doesn't care two hoots if he passes or fails, which is probably why he does well. Luckily at school he has a set of exams each term so he's used to them and is unphased. If he sits crgs, that will be November and the E and W are May, so although it may seem a lot to some parents, it really is nothing compared to what he's used to at school. :)
KB

Post by KB »

What a lovely way to be :)

If you go ahead with CRGS it would be worth warning him about the number of boys who will be there -however confident and laid back he is it is a big deal for most 10 year olds to be with such a big group of boys in an unfamiliar place. The school does a great job of looking after them - lots of 6th formers around (my son says they only lost one last year :lol: ) but they still have to negotiate the preparation & waiting process then going in to a large old fashioned hall etc. Even if your son is fine there will be many who are not and this can unsettle the calm ones!

Most do come out smiling at least & enjoy the experience - it sounds like your son is def. one of these :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks for the invaluable advice KB. :D
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Tipsy

I totally agree with KB's wise words. We were in a slightly similar position to you. Our family has a long association with an independent school (not quite E & W!) and we always assumed our DD would go from her feeder prep school to the independent. We decided to put her in for the 11+ because it "would be good practice, she is not phased by exams and she likes a challenge....". All the time I'm thinking how fab it would be to have a choice.

When she was offered a place via the 11+ at CCHS (very similar to CRGS) and at the independent, (with a scholarship,) the wheels feel off! Never could I have anticipated how difficult making a decision would be. During the whole experience including the revision, the exam and waiting for the results, my DD was not bothered one bit. It was heart breaking watching her so stressed over the decision of which school to go for. In floods of tears she said "they're making me choose and I don't want to". What are you supposed to say to a 10 year old when all the time I know how bl**dy lucky we had been?

Yes, the exams were what she was used to but the consequence of the results were something neither of us were prepared for.

Lulu
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Lulu - and what did you opt for in the end, and are you happy with the choice?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now