crgs - applying

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

crgs - applying

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

can someone tell me exactly how to apply to crgs for entry in 2009 as the essex council site has not been working in this section for days now. I don't know when I'm supposed to apply and crgs tell me just to go and look at their website.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Hi Tipsy

Entry to CRGS is via the Essex 11+. The Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex (CSSE) administers the exam on behalf of the selective schools in Essex and it's my understanding that the head teachers from the consortium schools take it in turn to set the papers.

For 2009, the CSSE website states:-

http://www.csse.org.uk

"IMPORTANT DATE:

11+ Test Date for September 2009 Entry will be held on:

SATURDAY 22ND NOVEMBER 2008

Registration will commence from the 1st September 2008. A full Guide to the forthcoming 11+ and registration form will be available on this website from the end of the Summer Term 2008. The CSSE cut off date for registration is 3/11/08. We are unable to accept registration prior to the 1st September 2008. Please be advised this office is closed during all school holidays."

So you've got loads of time before you need to do anything!

Lulu
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Lulu. I really am not intending to tutor him but if I bottle it at the last minute do you know what the best papers would be to practice on?
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Hi Tipsy

My experience was that it really all boils down to the VR paper as it carries 50% of the marks. The VR is multiple choice so definitely worth a quick practice. I found that the pack that's available from the CSSE was quite good. Chatting amongst a few of my friends it was not uncommon to have got to the point where the girls could answer some of the question types by only reading the answer sheet (of course very useful when time is against them).

Having said that, I'm sure there are heaps of stuff out there. Also, I only found this site after my DD's results came out and I still remain blissfully unaware which of the 21 question types might appear on a CSSE paper! Hopefully someone else might be able to help!

Lulu
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Lulu.

Is anyone else applying for 2009?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tipsy if you are not going to take up the place (should it be awarded) the place will need to be taken up or it will lapse .. If you want a place for Y9, as you said in another thread, you apply then.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Guest55 wrote:Tipsy if you are not going to take up the place (should it be awarded) the place will need to be taken up or it will lapse .. If you want a place for Y9, as you said in another thread, you apply then.
You're probably right but there's no harm in asking and stranger things have happened! :wink: But to reiterate, I wouldn't be taking away the place of a Year 7 child as they have entry in Year 9 too. I know independent schools can defer 11+ entry until 13+, and I know state schools work differently, but we'll try anyway.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to ask the school first - otherwise you are taking a place away. Or at least someone won't get a place in March and will have weeks of worry until you withdraw. Places above PAN will not be allocated.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Guest 55

I know this really opens another debate but Tipsy's son wouldn't be the first person to sit the exam without really intending to take up a place if it were offered. :wink:

Lulu
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

anyway I might take it up :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now