What Pass Mark for entry to Westcliff HS Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jessmum

What Pass Mark for entry to Westcliff HS Girls?

Post by jessmum »

My DD is only 8 but Im starting to think about her senior school as our local comp is not an option.

She has expressed an interest in Westcliff High as she is keen on science. Id like to know what pass at 11+ she will need to secure a place at this school?

Are there any other entry requirements or do they interview potential pupils in addition to the 11+ scores?

Thanks!
Another worried Mum

Post by Another worried Mum »

There isn't an actual pass mark for the 11+ in Essex/Southend - and the rules are slightly different too, depending upon which Local Authority area you live in. :?

Since the pass/fail mark was done away with several years ago, the school try to assess a standard as a notional pass. They then allocate a number of spaces for girls from the Southend LA area and the rest are available to everyone else. This generally means that the marks you need to achive to get a place (if you live outside of Southend) will be a little higher. From the experience of others (which you will find all over this forum) if your DD can achieve marks of around 70 - 75% across the board, then she should be OK. However, as it is all relative, and depends upon how well all of the girls have done in any particular year, there are no guarantees at all. This all helps to add to the pressure for us mums and dads, which we then work to protect our DCs from! :!:

However, my personal view is that it is a little early for you to focus on the actual marks bit, but firstly to understand whether grammar is the right choice for your DD in the first place. If she is doing well so far, then that is great, but if you will have to push her hard to do well in the 11+, then you will need to consider how she would then handle the grammar school experience in its entirity. Perhaps a chat with her primary school teacher would help with this.

If she is doing well, then go for it! Our DD started at WHSG this term and is loving every minute so far - even the homework! :)

Hope this helps
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thanks that is really useful information. Im really new to all this and do completely agree its too early to make a firm decision about whether a Grammar is 100% the right choice for my daughter at this stage.

My main problem is that her Primary is tiny so its quite difficult to judge her against other children. She had very good Yr2 SATS and Ive been told she has an outstanding talent for story writing. I have spoken briefly to a TA in her class whose son goes to Westcliff HS for Boys and sailed through the 11+ with no coaching and asked her opinion. She said DD was definately bright enough but not to push to early (good advice).

She has a tendency to coast a bit for which I do blame the school a little - they have quite a few pupils who have had to work very hard to achieve the national average scores and a lot of focus is on them to "haul them up to standard" whereas the brighter ones are left to their own devices a bit once they have reached their "acceptable level". This is one reason I think doing the 11+ work would actually do her a lot of good - push her potential a bit. There are two comprehensives fairly nearby that I would be happy for her to attend, so the Grammar is definately not the only choice for her, but from what I can see of her work at this moment in time, I think she could do well in the 11+. If she doesnt, then we are lucky enough to have alternatives!

Id like to think by this time next year I'll have more of an idea whether she is likely flourish or flounder at a Grammar - the only area I know she might need help is maths but she is already doing very well with some basic VR work and English.

Thanks again, your post was extremely helpful, thank you. Im glad your DD loves her school!