St Martins Out Of Catchment Entrance Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jessmum

St Martins Out Of Catchment Entrance Exam

Post by jessmum »

Has anyone here had any experience with the St Martins (Hutton) School out of catchment entrance exam?

My DHs family have ties with the school going back many years and its definately an option Id like to consider for my DD but dont really know what to expect from the entrance exam. Will it be similar to the 11+ or more in keeping with the entrance exam to a private school?

Any info would be great!
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi, Jessmum

My DS sat the 11+ for Essex, St Martin entrance exam and the private school in Brentwood entrance exam last year.

According to my son's experience, he found the 11+ most challenging especially the English paper. The St Martins one was rather easy especially the Maths paper. Also, he had to do the aptitude test which I believe there were lots of NVR questions. As I could remember, there was no English paper in St Martins. The Brentwood one was OK but the creative writing which he was not very keen on.

He passed all exams but accepted the offer of his first choice GS in Chelmsford which he enjoys very much so far.

Hope the informations help.
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thanks for that great info.

Im quite keen on St Martins and its a much easier alternative (transport wise!) than the Grammar options, so I think I'll definately keep it in mind.

Did your son do the Brentwood School entrance for a scholarship / bursary or just a general admission?? Creative writing is my DDs forte so she would enjoy this kind of paper!

Thanks again and Im glad your son is enjoying school. Havent got to worry about my boys yet, they are only little - but I know how fast it all comes around!
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

I applied a music scholarship for my son but the competition was very fierce. Unfortunately, he did not get it but a great experience for him.

Regarding bursary, we are not qualified because the household income
is not low enough. It is very difficult to get bursary nowadays and you have to fill in lots of forms should you wish to apply for one.

I understand that your daughter is very good at writing story and she will enjoy the Brentwood exam.

Regards
essexmum18
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thanks for the info. Im not sure Id want to go down the Bursary route - our finances are complicated as my DH owns his own business and as is well documented, "creative (but legal!)" accountants show income as very low for tax reasons, however Im not sure its ethical to apply for bursaries based on this (although Im sure many many people do it). Its not something that would sit comfortably with me - even though we truly could not afford full fees for our 3 children!

She has no outstanding talent in non academic subjects anyway, so its probably not a route that is an option.

Im still considering the St Martins exam though, so thanks again for the helpful advice.
magic

Post by magic »

My daughter sat 11 plus, st martins and brentwood exams last year too. she already attended a private school locally. she found the 11 plus the hardest but passed and attends chelmsford girls. she found the st. martins exam quite easy, especially the maths. for the 11 plus and brentwood maths papers, topics are included that are not standard teaching in primary schools. however, the topics that are covered will be quite hard questions if you are not covering maths at home or with a tutor. so far as brentwood school, the creative writing was to write a piece on how to look after a pet, followed by comprehension. i always say to my children to have an opening story that could be adapted and a closing paragraph. she found the brentwood exam easier than st. martins!