What score did you need for kegs 2006?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Re: What score did you need for kegs 2006?

Post by Guest »

Tommy wrote:I have heard that you need a very high score to get into kegs, higher than the girls schools. Can anyone confirm last years scores? Thanks
Have you checked out the KEGS website recently? Go to FAQs for Admission. They reckon about 70% or higher on each paper.
The ratio of applications to places at KEGS is around 4:1, so suggest trying for the highest score you can as the best option.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote: Not sure I agree with the last comment. I know children that have got into the grammars just (i.e. maybe in the last 10 positions) and they went on to be very successful. What we have to remember here is that a lot of children a tutored purely for the 11+ - yes, they have to be relatively bright to get through but it doesn't mean that if they come high in position in the 11+ they will be in the same position in the school. I know one girl that got in on appeal and ended up being 4th in the year at the end of year exams and I am sure she is not an exceptional case. There are many more subjects for the children to cope with than what is tutored for the 11+.
Hi, I wrote the previous comment and on reflection I am convinced by your argument that 11+ placing isn't that important an indication of how a child will do at GCSE. I do however still believe that 6th form entry policy is a concern at certain schools, particularly Colchester Royal Grammar. It is something a parent should consider when selecting their first choice grammar. Please don't get me wrong, Colchester Royal Grammar is an amazing school but a significant percentage of boys will not be allowed back into the 6th form. Having said that, there has previously been talk of the government forcing all grammars to offer up all their 6th form places to competitive entry. see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 66,00.html

Post by Guest »

"I do however still believe that 6th form entry policy is a concern at certain schools"

Anecdotally, those who fail to return to 6th form at KEGS due to weak exam results are often a year young for their year. I wonder if prospective parents with children a year ahead at primary school know this?

Post by Guest »

That's very interesting. Do you happen to know roughly what the the criteria for re-entry to Kegs in the 6th form is? I've heard at certain Grammars it's 8 GCSEs of grade B or higher with at least 3 at grade A and you can only study A levels in which you have achived A/A* at GCSE. Does that sound right? I must admit, I have a boy at Kegs and I didn't know they didn't re-admit some boys to the 6th form. Also, do you know how many boys this affects evey year?

Many Thanks
Karen

Post by Karen »

Anonymous wrote:That's very interesting. Do you happen to know roughly what the the criteria for re-entry to Kegs in the 6th form is?

Many Thanks
Looking at the Essex LEA Secondary Schools booklet, requirements for admissions to 6th form at KEGS are: 1. an average GCSE points score of 6.5 across a minimum of 8 subjects; 2. a suitably high GCSE grade, usually A or better, in each chosen subject of study; and 3. available places in the teaching sets for each subject.

:)

Post by Guest »

Thank you Karen. That's a very good site! So with an A at GCSE worth 7 points and a B worth 6, the minimum requirement to be readmitted to Kegs in the 6th form is 4 As and 4 Bs and you would have to study A levels in the subjects where an A grade was achieved at GCSE.
Karen

Post by Karen »

That's how it looks. Therefore, your son will have to make sure that he gets the required A at GCSE for the subjects he wants to study at A level. Blimey! :o

Oh well, a fantastic education and career prospects must be worth it. :wink:

Passing the 11+ is just the beginning.......

Post by Guest »

For boys of KEGS calibre, supposedly the top 5%, 4 As and 4 Bs should not be too hard. Of course, some struggle from day one and others drop off as 'teenage pursuits' take control of their lives. Last year was exceptional in that so many failed to make the cut - was it 11 or 12 out of 112?

The other problem for sixth form admissions is the "3. available places in the teaching sets for each subject. " criterion. If your chosen subjects are Latin, Electronics, Music and Theatre Studies then you will have no trouble getting what you want. If you want to do Chemistry (necessary for medicine) then you had better get more than 4 As and 4 Bs, because they go down the list starting with those who got the best grades and work their way down. After a couple of weeks it usually shakes itself out, and everyone is studying what they want.

"Passing the 11+ is just the beginning.......". Funnily enough, around year 10/11 a few of the boys seem to take the attitude that passing the 11+ was all they had to do to ensure success - that no further work was required and success was assured. They tend to be the ones who have to find alternative Sixth Form education.

Post by Guest »

Karen and Guest. Thanks! I feel I've had a bit of an education on this and wow, I didn't realise it was 10%! On a slightly different tack, over the last few years a couple of parents have told me that they have had boys at Kegs who entered the school at the very top of the order of merit and had exemplary academic records at Prep school but were "allowed" to drift. They both made it into the 6th form but didn't get the University places that was expected of then when entering year 7. Obviously you can't draw a broad conclusion for just 2 examples but had you heard anything along these lines or is it a question of they are boys and if the parents let them, of course they're going to cruise?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Karen and Guest. Thanks! I feel I've had a bit of an education on this and wow, I didn't realise it was 10%! On a slightly different tack, over the last few years a couple of parents have told me that they have had boys at Kegs who entered the school at the very top of the order of merit and had exemplary academic records at Prep school but were "allowed" to drift. They both made it into the 6th form but didn't get the University places that was expected of then when entering year 7. Obviously you can't draw a broad conclusion for just 2 examples but had you heard anything along these lines or is it a question of they are boys and if the parents let them, of course they're going to cruise?
I think most of the grammars as for a certain number of A/A*s be obtained for get into 6th form and do the required A levels. I know at WHSB they have to have at least an A to study the subject at A level and they also have to achieve a certain number of points to do 4 A levels etc.

On your other point, I think boys can start off brilliantly and falter as they get older. I know this has happened to some boys but in some cases it is just that they actually don't want to stay at school and want to leave and earn some money. The shame is that if they are in a grammar school you would hope that they would go on to uni. I know I would have been disappointed if my son had not chosen to go to uni (he is in the upper sixth at the moment) but at the same time if he did not want to study further then there would be no point paying the money to force him to go. We have always ensured that he works hard and keeps up with all his work. It has paid off as he is trying for the uni's he wants to. You do hear of really bright kids that didn't reach their potential for various reasons but not sure the grammars let them drift.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now