This Weekend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dolly19

Post by Dolly19 »

Tony42

This is only anecdotal, but I've been told that in some previous years you've needed 85% overall, but in others much less. It all depends on the overall performance of EVERYBODY, so if lots find it hard the mark you get in to get accepted will be low, but equally if all find it easy then it'll be high.

It'll be interesting for you to see if your son has guessed his performance correctly won't it? At least it's a bit of a guide for you. My daughter sometimes says she's confident she's done well and gets 60% and then on other papers says she found it tricky and gets 95%!! NO help at all!

Hope you get the result you're looking for.
Dolly
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

At least it's all over and we can enjoy Christmas! :D
Tony42

KEGS

Post by Tony42 »

Thanks Dolly, we'll have to wait and see. I must say that even if he is offered a place I am not sure we'll accept as it is a long way from us and we have also applied to Brentwood, which we all like.

I realise that Brentwood is not as good academically, but then again if you can pick the top 110 or so pupils then the results are going to be good; in other words how much is the school and how much is the pupils they select?

We have loved Brentwood when we've been around there and I am sure my son will be happy there. The fees are obviously an issue, but we have saved for these and so are not a problem.

I believe the class sizes are much smaller at Brentwood and the facilities much much better. All the teachers I have met seem really nice and committed. Having said that everyone I know who has been to or have children at KEGS are universally positive.

I obviously want my son to go to a top universiry and the "view" seems to be that you need to go to KEGS to get into Oxbridge. But is that because Oxbridge respect KEGS as an institution, or again is it becuase all the best raw material go to KEGS in the first place? If my son is good enough for KEGS but goes elsewhere, surely he will stand a chance if he keeps working hard? Or do KEGS just push them harder and if that is the case, is that really such a good thing?

At the moment I am 50/50, my son is 70/30 in favour of Brentwood (but he won't be getting a new car if we choose KEGS!!).

If anyone has any views on the differences between the two schools I would be really interested to hear.

Many thanks.
Tony
moved

Post by moved »

Hi Tony

My son is at KEGS in year 7, he is certainly not overly pushed. The curriculum is interesting and provides fun challenges. Class size is 28, which has not worried him at all. He likes being with like-minded children. His comment "Everyone is clever so they can make the lessons interesting."

I am also in two minds about applying to Brentwood for my daughter. We are worried that if the 11+ maths was easy and 64% of the English was true/false questions then it will be harder for the bright to stand out and she may therefore not get Chelmsford.

Fees are an issue, we would need a scholarship/bursary. We also have Westcliff as a back up.
slug62

Post by slug62 »

Sorry, moving, you've lost me. 11-plus too easy this year, therefore a bright kid (such as your daughter, I take it) may not pass high enough to go to Chelms?
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi, Tony

My DS passed both the 11+ in Essex and Brentwood entrance exam last year. Liked you, we had saved up the school fee for him to go to Brentwood. In the end, we (my son. myself and D husband) chose KEGS.

The main reason is that I believe my son will be happier at KEGS due to the stimulating learning atmosphere. The teachers at KEGS do stretch and challenge the students (most cases are fun and interesting challenges). In my son's case, KEGS is more suitable. Also, the extra curricular activities that KEGS offer have been excellent and really, there is something for everyone to join in. Large class size does not bother my son because he used to go to a state primary. As a matter of fact, class size at KEGS is smaller than my son's previous primary school. So far, he is doing well and very happy.

Of course, Brentwood is a lovely school and the ground is very impressive. It has lots of lovely facilities and smaller class size. So, I would say it depends on your child's characters and personalities to see which school is more suitable.
moved

Post by moved »

Just worried that it will become a test of accuracy, not her strong point, rather than ability. Anyway, I have decided not to worry and what will be will be. Westcliff for the back up.
slug62

Post by slug62 »

moving wrote:Just worried that it will become a test of accuracy, not her strong point, rather than ability. Anyway, I have decided not to worry and what will be will be. Westcliff for the back up.
So - forgive me - you are confident that if she doesn't pass Chelms she will pass with enough marks to 'slum it' at W'cliff? Also, thought accuracy as well as ability was pretty important in the 11-plus?
moved

Post by moved »

Hardly slumming it. Excellent school, just wasn't her first choice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

slug62,

Please try to be polite -
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now