Format of 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: Format of 11+

Post by yoyo123 »

read a variety of books, as well as the classics, maybe some audiobooks too.
gaap

Post by gaap »

Hi,

I vaguely remember having read somewhere that Essex English paper format for Chelmsford/Colchester has changed. My DD is sitting her 11+ in Nov 2011. I have asumed that English paper has comprehension from 19th century text. Is the format for English paper remains the same for 2012 entry? Could someone please clarify?

Thanks
moved

Post by moved »

The format changed for 2011 entry. Still a comprehension, but the large synonyms section had been removed and a spelling section added.

The texts used have varied for several years if you look at the list above there are texts from this century, last century and the 19th century.

The recent paper is available from: http://csse.org.uk/parentalpracticepackorderjan2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CSSE do not give out the format in advance so no one will know for next year.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My son's school recommended that his class read the abridged versions of some of the classics. Several of the children in his class had read the abridged version of Bleak House and when it came up in the exam they said they felt it gave them confidence as they knew what the book was about. Anything is worth a try. :) :)
choudsal

Post by choudsal »

/Alot of these books are very difficult reads for 9/10 year olds. When my DS was preping for the 11+ Last year i got him to watch some of the movies, and read almost anything not just the classics- even his tutor recommended just to read and understand what he was reading and not to just specifically read classics. I have to admit the english is hard and the general trend has been this way for many years, but i think we should encourage the children to read books, understand the story and encourage them to talk about the books and improve vocab and punctuation. Also children need to understand that alot of the time the answer is in the text provided for them in the exam, so when children practise and prep for the 11+ they should be encouraged to read and understand the text first before looking at the questions- read it twice if necassary, and even make notes about the text whilst reading it.
gaap

Post by gaap »

Thanks 'moved' for your clarification on English format for Essex 11plus. I have got bond books for comprehension and my DD is working on it.
dadofmimi

Post by dadofmimi »

Fran17 wrote:My son's school recommended that his class read the abridged versions of some of the classics. Several of the children in his class had read the abridged version of Bleak House and when it came up in the exam they said they felt it gave them confidence as they knew what the book was about. Anything is worth a try. :) :)
This sounds like a really good idea as the full version of some of these books is going to be tough for most 10 year olds.

Does anyone know where I could get abridged versions of some of these texts. Are they likely to be available in a local library? Has anyone bought from regular shops like Waterstones of WHSmith?

Any help much appreciated
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Thanks..all this is v usefull.
Where can we buy previous years original maths and englush 11plus papers from 2008 onwards...
pg
moved

Post by moved »

You can only buy the previous two years, but if you do that now, you will be able to buy this year's paper in February, assuming it is the same date this year.
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Thanks.
can you please pm me the link fir free downloadable 11plus papers .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now