Feeling sick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Post by moved »

Congratulations and commiserations to those who have their results.

I wish mine was the first born, then she wouldn't keep comparing herself with the older one.

Up at 5am this morning for swimming. Went for a walk/jog. Don't know how I am going to get through until the email this afternoon/evening. Throw myself into my work I suppose.
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

To Moving

Sorry for stating the obvious, but why don't you just log in and get the result now?

BTW - our e-mail arrived at 09:46 so you may not have that long to wait
moved

Post by moved »

Southend don't do the log in system. We all have to wait until between 4 and 8.30pm
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Ahh- hadn't realised you were in Southend - thought you were in Essex. apologies - hope you don't have too long to wait, must be agony!
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Congratulations to the happy ones, true commiserations to those who got unwelcome news, especially you, silver29, you've been such a help to so many people on this forum. I hope your ds is not too upset, I honestly think this was a really tough year.
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

FlightyRachel wrote:Congratulations to the happy ones, true commiserations to those who got unwelcome news, especially you, silver29, you've been such a help to so many people on this forum. I hope your ds is not too upset, I honestly think this was a really tough year.
Thanks for your kind words. My son seems ok at the moment, I feel numb! His sister came so high up in the order for CCHS last year & he was scoring only a few pecent less than her in practice tests. I really thought my son stood a good chance at a Grammar place.

I have found out that he is in a fairly reasonable position on the Westcliff waiting list. Does anyone know how much movement there usually is?
moved

Post by moved »

I heard that there is usually quite a bit of movement during the whole of March. I have assumed that this year will be worse as so many people from London put the Chelmsford schools on their list. Hopefully lots of them won't want the reality of the long train journey from London. Fingers crossed that everything works out for you. In Southend we are still waiting.
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Silver29 wrote:
Thanks for your kind words. My son seems ok at the moment, I feel numb! His sister came so high up in the order for CCHS last year & he was scoring only a few pecent less than her in practice tests. I really thought my son stood a good chance at a Grammar place. I would've put him at borderline KEGS and a very good chance of Westcliff.

I have found out that he is in a fairly reasonable position on the Westcliff waiting list. Does anyone know how much movement there usually is?
I don't I'm afraid, in fact I'm dying to know how you found out where he is on the waiting list!

I just wanted to echo your feelings of surprise. My ds is consistently scoring 5A in assessments at (state!) school, and did well at practice 11+ tests too, like your lad. His school seemed pretty sure (in as much as they ever commit themselves!) that he'd be offered a KEGS place. I worried that they might be being a little optimistic and so it seems. We were lucky enough to get 2nd choice, Southend, though. I do think that the increase in numbers has had an effect. I will keep my fingers crossed for your son, although he sounds a bright lad, and will no doubt shine where ever he goes.

rachel
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Hi Rachel

2 years ago we were in the same boat as you - missed out on KEGS but got into 2nd choice - SHSB.

2 years on, this has proved a fantastic result for us. DS is really happy there, it's a great fit with him and a truly superb school.

He started at the same time as the new headmaster - Dr Robin Bevan - who is in his early 40s and a really clever and highly regarded. He's also really experienced in boys grammar schools in Essex, a former deputy head at KEGS and a former head of maths at WHSB.

It's tough to get an out of borough place at SHSB - in my son's year they only took 26, 1 over the minimum, as a result the out of borough boys generally are achieving well in the school.

It's not general public knowledge yet, but parents were sent a copy of the latest OFSTED report from the inspection a few weeks ago and the school has actually gone up, it is a grade 1 (outstanding) overall and in all but 1 categories - the report is absolutely glowing and made us feel very privileged to have a son there.

If your son goes there, I promise you will not be disappointed - don't worry about not getting into KEGS, it may be serendipitous!

If you want to know anything PM me and I'll tell you what I can.
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Hi Gary and thanks for the lovely post. Hope it didn't sound as if I were putting SHSB down! When we went to the Open Day we all absolutely loved it, especially ds, and did think about putting it first on his list so he's in no way disappointed. I know that friends with boys at KEGS were sorry when he left. There was even a facebook group trying to get him back LOL

I am sure we'll have lots of questions so will keep in touch. Big big congrats to you and your daughter, how proud you must be of her.

rachel