Scores on the doors 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Oh, Chelmsford mum, you sound so sad, don't blame yourself. You can only do so much. I have come to see just what a huge role pure dumb luck plays in all this... Obviously for whatever reason, this year's paper was a hard one for our two children, and better suited to others. Last year, or next year, they might have been placed higher up the ranking (or even lower LOL).

My son's school is not big on the 11+, but some children usually get in each year... this year no girls at all got in anywhere, and no one got to KEGS.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi Flighty Rachel,

I'm really not too sad now just a tad more philosophical with a tinge of cynicism! :roll: Haven't lost hope entirely as she is 5th on list(not that she knows that!) However have enough belief in her to be ok with it all now wherever she goes.

Best wishes to you and your son :D
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Wow, 5th is great! It must be stressful though, being 'so near yet so far'. I hope you get good news soon.

I'm sure she will make the best of wherever she goes though. And to be honest, I went to grammar school and I'm a bit of a loser, really... so it doesn't always help.

My ds is really happy to be going to Southend, and I've been impressed with all the new intake info so far... I'm hoping that it will be one of those 'turned out to be for the best' life moments for him. :D
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hey - don't say that about yourself! You are obviously a great mum at the very least!
Actually one of my struggles with grammar schools, being a comp pleb myself ( joke everyone - don't write in) is actually how they define success.First eve for new parents at older daughter's school- chair of governors said " Welcome to the best school money can't buy. Your daughters must be amazing to have got here and you must be amazing parents too." My honest reaction was to feel nauseous.I have friends with disabled children who are still changing nappies and giving 24 hr care. They are amazing parents and I really believe academic success, whilst not to be despised, is not the be all and end all.I doubt you are a "loser" flighty Rachel, it depends how you measure success.
By the way all who read this- not a general criticism of grammars. My daughter is happy there but just believe success and contentment are measured in more than A*s. :D
kegsteacher

Post by kegsteacher »

Welcome to the best school money can't buy. Your daughters must be amazing to have got here and you must be amazing parents too.
Governors (especially Chairs, who seem to think they need to make speeches) are notorious for making statements like that. Please notice that this was not an employee of the school - I'm sure the head and any staff around (together with the parents) were cringing at that moment as you were.
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Chelmsford mum wrote:Hey - don't say that about yourself! You are obviously a great mum at the very least!
That's kind! I'm quite a happy loser LOL! I just look at my son and I think i was (nearly) as clever as him, once... but I don't really feel my senior school helped me achieve anything very much. I particularly think our careers and university advice was appalling. I came from a non uni family, and was really flying blind as I aplied for various places and courses. Hopefully things are a bit better now.

I can't really blame the school, totally though, I met my huband when i was 17 and bunked off halfway through an A level to meet him LOL (I failed it!) What a twit.

Chelmsford mum wrote:Actually one of my struggles with grammar schools, being a comp pleb myself ( joke everyone - don't write in) is actually how they define success.First eve for new parents at older daughter's school- chair of governors said " Welcome to the best school money can't buy. Your daughters must be amazing to have got here and you must be amazing parents too." My honest reaction was to feel nauseous.I have friends with disabled children who are still changing nappies and giving 24 hr care. They are amazing parents and I really believe academic success, whilst not to be despised, is not the be all and end all.I doubt you are a "loser" flighty Rachel, it depends how you measure success.
By the way all who read this- not a general criticism of grammars. My daughter is happy there but just believe success and contentment are measured in more than A*s. :D

Smugness is always unattractive, isn't it? My personal bugbear is with those people who regard grammars not as a facility to school genuine high achievers, but a way in which their children can avoid mixing with commoners and comp kids! It's amazing how many people believe their mediocre kids deserve a grammar place just because they'd like them to have one, despite the fact their academic record isn't particularly good. My dd will go to the local comp because she is of average academic ability, and no shame in that. I've looked round it and think it will suit her down to the ground.. her life certainly won't be measured by A*s, i think she'll take a very different path, but no less successful.

You and I are being very controversial here LOL Maybe we can liven up this board a little! :D
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Yes - Let's liven up the thread :evil:

Seriously , like you careers advice was dreadful.Despite non uni type family, I liked school and managed As at A level despite this.Helpfully did not fall in love till after uni. :lol: However distinctly remember asking so called careers teacher about becoming a barrister and actually being told "that's not for children like you!"Family were no help in the whole post 16 process because they were more in the dark than me.

So ...good thing about grammar schools is high aspirations.Still think bad thing is smugness at times.Kegs teacher, I take your point but I feel a certain air of superiority pervades school events, at least in my limited experience. Perhaps KEGS is different.It is somewhat inevitable I suppose.Last time my daughter's friends had a conversation in my hearing it was about ski passes! In fact foreign holidays alien to us due to income let alone sking.Good luck to those who can, but it can be tough if you are the only child in a different financial bracket amongst your friends.
As I said before my daughter is in the right place academically but I worry about the narrow social mix.P.E teacher said to me recently that if my daughter wanted to bring other sports into her assessment she could, e.g (she said) sking or horse riding.We do own a my little pony plastic toy for my pre schooler :wink: So many assumptions made about social backgrounds even by some of the teachers.
I obviously think the many strengths of the school outweigh the weaknesses and my daughter is happy there.However I think I will continue to struggle with the ethos at times.The school's mission statement is "Developing the Leaders of tomorrow".What if she doesn't want to lead? What if she wants to, I don't know, say teach reception class in a troubled social area or nurse the terminally ill?
Absolutely nothing wrong with aspiration , I really mean it and my own background makes me passionate about that.However getting back to my original point there are many kinds of success and grammar schools don't always seem to promote that.
Just my opinion :wink:
Dolly19

Post by Dolly19 »

WOW! Now this thread is getting interesting!

A couple of us have already commented (although I forget on which thread) about the shocking number of children who are travelling HUGE distances to grammar schools.

Firstly this means that children outside of Essex are taking advantage (that might still be a bit strong, but potentially better than "exploiting") a school system that Essex residents have fought long and hard to maintain. I'd be really interested to learn just how many London / Suffolk children are travelling to KEGS and CCHS to be educated on my tax-dollar. Yes, I know they're paying their local LEA to fund a school place they're not using, but how much are they paying? Supporting grammar schools doesn't come cheap and if their LEA has abandoned them I suggest that they're paying less council tax than I am.

Secondly, your child might be getting a good education (if the school suits them) but at what cost to the rest of their childhood? There are children round here that leave home at 7.15 and don't get home until 5.30. At 11 years old. That's longer than an average adult's working day. And then when they get home they've got an hours homework...?? What time is left for chilling out, spending time with your family, going swimming, joining the scouts, playing in the garden, riding your bike, learning an instrument, etc, etc. What is your child's memory going to be of their secondary school time? Leaving home in the dark and getting home in the dark? Having no time for ANYTHING else in their life?

There, I've said it now. Excuse me while I go and hide.
FLITCH6

Post by FLITCH6 »

Dolly 19 , If you have an acceptable comprehensive school in your catchment I would probably agree but for us a grammar school was our only choice. We live in Essex but have to travel a fair way to get to school. I don't think you will get any complaints from the children, only parents.
moved

Post by moved »

Dolly

Have you considered that some of the children actually enjoy themselves too. My son still has time to swim every day, he plays his instruments and has a social life, including quite a good one on the train. Yes he leaves home at 7.15 and returns at 5pm or later if he attends an after school club. I have often asked him if he would rather go to a local school and he always says "No!"

He is happier at school than he has been in his entire life, I just hope that one day we might be able to sell our house by the sea and move to Chelmsford so that both my children can walk to school. Fingers crossed!