11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Post by moved »

Another of my pupils:

Your child’s raw scores in the three tests are as follows:
English Score 28/50
Mathematics score 28/40
Verbal Reasoning Score 55/80
These three results are adjusted to take account of any variations in the difficulty of different papers each year and combined to produce your child's overall, standardised, weighted score of: 325.562

Southend High School for Boys * | Total Applicants 746 | Your Ranked Position 111 | Applicants on your ranked list 437 |
St Thomas More High School | Total Applicants 119 | Your Ranked Position 26 | Applicants on your ranked list 119 |
Westcliff High School for Boys * | Total Applicants 763 | Your Ranked Position 103 | Applicants on your ranked list 347 |
poi

Post by poi »

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:26 pm Post subject:Copied from 'Off topic -Brentwood this w/end'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel it is a shame for a parent to feel they have put their child through an experience that has done them no good, even harmed them. The 11+ exam is a terribly flawed one for differentiating future academic ability, especially now that parents invest so much time, money and energy in getting their children to jump through the right hoops, at the right time and in the right way. The success to failure ratio is bound to be 1:5 or 1:6 in the Essex grammars, before any mark has even been allocated.
I always remember, way back when I was at school, the way my P.E. teacher kept the pupil who was last to get changed in at playtime as a punishment. I remember thinking even if we were all super-quick, someone would still have to come last! The 11+ test is exactly the same: even if all the candidates were of a suitable standard to relish grammar school there has to be differentiation in marks to separate them enough and to give them individual rankings. The system demands it, as the 3 decimal places of standardised scores show. There could be very little difference in the performances of some. Please celebrate your children's attitude and effort in even attempting the exam. Don't let lack of offered places be confused with a lack of success.
The only places offered (successes??) that I have heard of this year are with a girl who has been tutored since Year 3 (a clear pass) and a boy who was 'bullied' for a whole year by his parents in addition to tutoring (a scraped pass from the waiting list). Another pair of boys (one of whom has had private schooling since nursery, with grammar school in mind the whole time) were both considered 'dead certs' but 'failed' (!!!!!!!) comprehensively and completely!! There are many wishes of 'luck' on this forum both before and after the exam and indeed a good dose of luck is what is needed!
Another child we know says a Year 9 pupil at their Essex grammar school was asked to leave because their level of achievement was so poor. I expect the exam does single out the right children in most cases but there are significant numbers of children who are missed or wrongly selected over others every year. You have to feel for the selective schools, however imperfect the system, as there does not really seem a better answer. What else can they do?
Well done to all the 11+ sitters for 2009 entry. It is a small part of a child's life and success is guaranteed to those with aspirations and supportive families, whatever school they go to. To the future.

To Tony 42 - your son's results were very good and you need to get his position/place checked. The VR score makes a difference but not enough to spoil a Maths and English score as high as your son's. Does the CSSE make mistakes??????!!!!!!!
summer

westcliff waiting list

Post by summer »

My son is around 28th on waiting list for Westcliff Boys School. It looks very likely that he will not go far enough up the ladder to gain a place. Does anyone know what the waiting list was like last year and roughly how many boys waiting got a place at Westcliff?
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Moving, was your pupil allocated SHSB or Tommy More? Feel free to tell me to not be so nosey! I'm just trying to get a feel for the scores, and so few have been posted (despite 5000 views of my son's!!) that I can't.

rachel
moved

Post by moved »

Hi FR

I teach in Southend so these are in borough applicants.

He was allocated Southend. Sorry I don't know what the cutoff score is for SHSB, only that as last year it is higher than WHSB.
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Thanks! It's only my own insecurity that's making me ask... I just want reassuring that his scores weren't that bad, and I wasn't completely deluded thinking he might get into KEGS! :oops:
poi

Post by poi »

Dear Flighty Rachel,
The friendly and helpful staff at CSSE would provide you with the last -place/position offered on 2nd March. After that the LEA is 'in-charge' of the waiting lists and would probably be a little less forth-coming, except for details concerning your child's place on the waiting list. Ring them and put your mind at rest! I did - see previous posting.
I am confused, though, as I understood that your child's score (being 340+) was very good and would have been enough for an offered place at CRGS or CCHS(Chelmsford). I begin to think I understand none of this 11+ malarkey at all!!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi Poi,
My child also got a score of 344 but not enough for CCHS this year.Other years have been different .Would have been more than enough for some of the other Essex grammars but cost of transport was an issue for us as well as other things.She is very high up on the waiting list .
CCHS and KEGS just take the top scorers each year, so the actual mark needed varies from year to year.
Hope that clarifies things :wink:
Incidentally another posting saying that 343 was cut of for CCHS was clearly wrong as she would have got in were it true!
moved

Post by moved »

Perhaps 343 was for Colchester as they are both CCHS, my daughter was significantly further up the Colchester list than the Chelmsford.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Would be very surprised if Colchester had a higher pass mark/cutoff.It has in the last few years been lower, hence children's higher placings for that school.Certainly older daughter, at Chelm chs has friends placed very highly for Col and middling for Chelm.
In a sense score doesn't matter as much for those schools anyway just placing.The year older daughter went in, she was placed in the high teens.The following year, watching this forum, she would have been in the top 5.( Had she performed as well on that day of course which is no certainty)That was a difference of 10 places with the same score.
For Poi and people new to the Essex 11+, I wouldn't focus too much on scores it is a very rough guide as each year varies.Practice helps and more practice! I certainly regret not doing a bit more but as we did not hire a tutor , it was just me and not very regularly at times due to other children.
ultimately too my younger daughter's performance has taught me not to count on anything.She was getting scores well into the nineties but dropped considerably on the day.It must have been nerves :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now